three.

august, second year
four months ago

The sun is already beginning to set, pouring streaks of orange and yellow through the open windows of their classroom, when they begin packing up to leave. It's another one of those days; the kind where they stay in school after it ends with promises to study, but end up throwing basketballs around and doodling on the whiteboard and talking and laughing about nothing and everything all at once.

Some shouting echoes down the hallway, followed by the distinct sound of a dribbled basketball.

"Hey! That's a foul, you-"

The bundle of noise zooms past their classroom and towards the stairwell. Hanbin peeks out the window in their wake; he can see Junhyeon, Ricky, Gyuvin, and two other people he can't recognise, probably someone from the class next door because the only one left in their room other than them is Matthew who's content folding scrap paper from the pile in the cupboard into paper airplanes.

"Does Ricky know he's getting another detention if the principal comes down here like the last time?"

"Oh, he knows," Zhanghao laughs, rolling his eyes. "He does not care."

"I'll miss these afternoons," Hanbin whispers, dropping his head to lean on Zhanghao's shoulder. These are the days he'll remember. He's always been sentimental about things ending.

"Don't think about missing them," Zhanghao answers. "You're in one right now. Just live." Zhanghao was this kind of person, he'd always lived life in the present, taking every step towards the future head-on and without fear.

Hanbin admired that extraordinary ability to forget, even for just a second, that every happy moment would soon be just a memory. It's one of his personal failings, he thinks. He gets attached to things and doesn't really know how to let go.

"Hey!"

The principal's voice booms from one end of the hallway and a stampede of shoes on concrete ensues, Ricky and Gyuvin running so fast the soles of their Converse squeak when they skid to a stop outside the classroom door. "Shit! He's here, better run!"

Zhanghao catches sight of Junhyeon, Haruto and Jay disappearing into the classroom next door as he slides the last of his math notes into his bookbag, and within the next half a minute they're back out the door, narrowly escaping the principal's grasp as they stumble down the stairwell headed for the school gate, laughing and shoving each other with so much adrenaline-fueled energy it's a miracle none of them end up falling down the stairs.

They give up running and collapse in a heap the moment they step out the school gates, loosening their uniform ties as they catch their breath from the unexpected burst of exercise. "You think he'll report us this time?" Gyuvin asks, shrugging off his jacket.

"Nah. I don't think he really cares," Jay answers, pushing back the hair that's begun to stick to his forehead with sweat. "Anyone up for dinner?"

Dinner means ramen and drinks from the nearest convenience store, the usual for a bunch of broke high school students. They crowd into the 7-11 down the street, filling the tiny shop with their lively noise as they pick out cups of ramen and jostle amongst themselves about who gets to use the hot water first. Given the tiny seating area is hardly enough to fit all eight of them, they end up sitting on the curb outside, chatting heartily as they devour the hot noodles in the crisp autumn evening.

"There's only four more months till the soulmate stars," Haruto says, shaking a plastic drink cup of something pink and fizzy in his hand. "I can't believe it's happening so fast."

"Speaking of the soulmate stars, let's interview our star-crossed lovers," Junhyeon grins, holding his drink in Hanbin's direction as if it's a microphone. "Thoughts, lovers?"

Hanbin takes a sip of Junhyeon's drink in protest. "You guys are so annoying, seriously."

"Ah, what's there to ask even..." Haruto argues. "Of course they're soulmates. They're literally perfect for each other."

Ricky and Gyuvin, on cue, begin making noises of disgust. "We all know it's true, there's no need to say it like that," Gyuvin complains. "They'll be soulmates, obviously. I wonder what'll happen to the rest of us, though."

"Who do you think your soulmate will be?" Jay asks.

Matthew doesn't even look up from his ramen as he answers. "Your mother."

"You know what, I'm never asking you guys questions again."

They sit around like this, eating and talking as the sunset melts into indigo to make way for twilight. They've all known each other since elementary school, and through the years and the graduations and the reshuffling of classes, they'd become the kind of friends who didn't have to talk every day but could always be counted on to be there whether rain or shine.

"We should start heading home," Hanbin suggests, stretching his legs as he stands up, crumpling the now-empty drink cup in his hand. "Don't forget about the math quiz tomorrow."

"There was a quiz?" Matthew howls from behind them as Zhanghao and Hanbin round the corner towards their bus stop. "No one told me!"

Zhanghao and Hanbin live two streets away from each other, which allows them a precious fifteen minutes more alone time on the bus ride and short walk home. 

"Aren't you worried about the soulmate stars?" Hanbin asks, pulling the other boy closer as they walk. The bus stop is empty when they reach, which means their bus has recently just left, but it doesn't matter. They're in no rush, anyway. 

"What's there for me to worry about?"

"You know..." His voice falters ever so slightly as he speaks, and he wonders if Zhanghao can tell his blood runs cold when he thinks of it. "What if we aren't soulmates?"

Zhanghao gives him a look. "But what if we are? You know worrying about it won't change that, right?"

"I know, but-"

He puts both hands on Hanbin's shoulders and forces the other boy to look him in the eye. "Hanbin-ah. Live in the present for once, okay? If we aren't soulmates, we'll figure it out. We have four more months before we have to face it. Do you really want to waste it all worrying about something you'll never in a million years be able to control?

"You're right," Hanbin agrees, biting his lip. "I'm sorry."

Zhanghao doesn't hesitate to pull him into a hug, and Hanbin melts into his embrace without a second thought. "Don't be sorry. I love you."

"I love you too."

"Okay. Let's go home."