A PHASE

Everything Jenny had thought about on her journey to Abuja was untrue when she arrived at the Capital City.  While the journey progressed, her head was in the clouds and she smiled even when her bum became numbed from sitting down for hours! It would be worth it!

The city was beautiful as she was told and clean unlike the village where she hailed from but the street was not paved with gold as her lecturer had told her. She had taken that statement to heart, hence the disappointment she felt was extraordinary. She expected to see stands and signposts of jobs vacancy, free coffee shops, skilled workers needed notice, and a free restaurant to cater for the less unfortunate. But she saw nothing of such sorts.

Moreover, all she saw were touts, beggars and traders moving from one spot to another. The place was so busy and untidy.

When she highlighted from the bus, she wore a more confused look as she glanced around.  It took all the self-control in her not to scream aloud in frustration. She had run away from a marriage to a city of dreams yet, it looked nothing like what she had imagined from all she had heard!

Although she was a stranger in the town, the look she wore on her face was clear she had been misinformed about the entire situation. Some people stared at her but others ignored her as she repeatedly read one signpost to another looking for an explanation. Maybe this was not Abuja after all. Good gracious God! She sighed.

She attempted to cry but realised she was on her own and the journey had indeed been hectic. She was only able to afford a bottle of water on the way.  She had carried some pastries from the previous day and it was all she ate! This was because she had planned on not using any of the money she carried except for transportation.

Without wanting to waste any time, Jenny decided she was going to make the most of this golden opportunity in the capital city. Positivity was key to survival!
Firstly, she checked if the money she carried was still intact. She had heard stories of pickpockets (thieves )in the big city and she did not want to be a victim. Fortunately for her, the money was still intact.

Secondly, she moved away from the motor park thinking of what next to do. Immediately she thought of an idea. She walked down towards the stores surrounding the park and asked for a government shelter. She had read some foreign books about shelters provided by the government for citizens, especially in London.

Unfortunately for her, the owners of the stores would burst into laughter as she spoke. They called her "Americana" "Johnny just come" and "Oyibo pickin". It was clear such places did not exist in the city. What a shame she thought! It ought to!

Asking another store owner for a nearby church, she was told it was 30 minutes drive by car. She was taught to always seek refuge in a church building. She calculate how many minutes it would be by foot. For it was some serious kilometres away.

Jenny felt defeated! No plan, no accommodation, no relative, no friend, or even a foe! She lacked a support system in a new place!
Soon, it was dark and the stores began to close for the day leaving only the bars and restaurants whose lights shone brighter in the dark. She had been sitting down at a spot beside the last store owner who was polite to her. She ate the remaining puff puff she had and her stomach growled in protest of it not being enough!

Jenny closed her eyes in frustration, wanting to give in to tiredness but in a second, she jumped on her feet, realizing that her money could be stolen and she could be raped as she was all alone. She began to move towards the main road and that was where she saw the array of beautiful women dressed in skimpy outfits, lined up by the expressway.

This was a sight she had never seen in her entire life! Exotic cars slowed down at each woman, have a conversation which Jenny could not understand and drive off with the lady or move to the next one.

This was prostitution as she had also read in books! It existed! The moment a lady leaves, others rush to the same spot. Jenny wondered where they lived. Looking down behind the ladies, she saw a big sign titled "House of Joy" It seems the ladies were coming out from there.

She wondered if she should go in there. Would she find joy? Her stomach growled more and it made her move. She began to walk past the ladies. Many of them hissed and told her to get lost as she was staring at them. Others called her a "bad market". Walking faster, Jenny moved a few kilometres away from them and that was where she saw a sign which was inscribed as a notice!

It reads "The church has moved to its permanent site in Wuse". This means this used to be a site for a church. Immediately she walked towards the gate, although the main door seemed locked, the entrance gate was opened. She was glad to walk inside the premises.

It was poorly lit with one big searchlight at the gate and no chair in sight. At last, she could see some boulders that she could seat on. Gladly she sat down on one of them, relaxing her tired legs. She was safe in the premises of God she thought. She needed food but there was no store on site. Placing her bag on top of her lap, Jenny laid her head on it and prayed for a miracle!