Hide and Strategize

Becky still hasn't spoken a word in the three days she's been with the Cullens. Rosalie missed school yesterday and the day before, but Esme wouldn't allow her to miss another day having missed too many already. They are to keep up their ruse as humans and not seem as if they are teetering with the idea to keep a human child they found in the woods.
Jasper and Edward are the only ones not fully on board. It is entirely because they worry about Jasper becoming too tempted. It will be decided tonight when Carlisle gets home from work. They will also be discussing the best way to leave Alaska without throwing up any red flags.
Esme is upstairs reading to Becky, whom Rosalie and Alice dressed in comfy rubber ducky feetie pajamas. She seems to respond to Princess and the Pea and The Swan Princess the best, laughing and pointing at the pictures. She hasn't played much since arriving and they have made it a point to keep her from mirrors until her hair grows out a bit. Becky cried for an hour after seeing her shaved head the first time. She was eventually able to be distracted and forget when offered candy.

After lunch: a peanut butter and honey sandwich with a sliced up green apple and milk; Becky hugs Esme's leg and stutters, "Ga- gank ou."

Esme squats down to her eye level, returning Becky's hug and takes her tiny hand. "You're welcome, sweet girl." Esme's smile casts a warm blanket over Becky. "Would you like a cookie or muffin?"

Shaking her head, she says, "I-" She rubs her eyes and yawns, "I seepy."

Picking her up, Esme takes her to the couch and bundles her in a wool blanket. After a few minutes, Becky is in a deep sleep. Happy that Becky finally spoke, she calls to inform her husband. He's so pleased she feels safe enough with his wife to at least begin talking. He isn't too concerned with her speech right now, considering her age and the tragic events of her short life.
A couple of hours drift by allowing the school day to come to an end. The Cullen children arrive home, clambering and noisy, Emmett especially so. He hops over the back of the sofa and shuffles Becky softly to wake her from her nap like a gentle bear. He loves having her around no matter if she speaks or not, her lively giggles he has been able to lure out of her make his day. The glistening delight in his wife's eyes is an added bonus to his joy.

"Oh, little duck." Emmett whispers sweetly. "Little duck?" His whisper growing louder as Becky grumbles. "We're home."

"My rose?" Becky asks drowsily.

"Your rose?" Emmett chuckles. "I guess I can share her with you." He tickles her making her yelp in joyful distress.

Jasper smiles hearing her speak, but takes to his room to do his homework. Alice follows behind to comfort him, knowing her scent is harder on him than the rest. Emmett pulls little Becky into his arms giving Rosalie a cheesy grin. With how close she has stayed to Rosalie, it takes no deducing that she means Rosalie. Rosalie takes her from her husband and heads up the stairs to Becky's play area in the den.
Becky has only looked at the toys they bought for her. Today however, she picked one up; a doll with long brunette hair wearing a blue and white dress. She stares at it for a few seconds before giving the doll to Emmett. He looks at it confused, thinking maybe she doesn't like the doll or wants him to change her dress. Rosalie and he share a look when Becky picks up the prince doll and puts him in a pink toy hummer.

Pretending to drive the prince over to Emmett, Becky makes the softest horn sound. "Beep beep."

Without missing a beat Emmett has his doll stroll over to the car, in the most high pitch girly voice he can muster he says, "Well hello, sir. What's a fine gentleman like you doing here?"

Becky squeals, but before she can say anything Rosalie puts her hand on Emmett's and mutters quietly, "You are a boy. What are you doing?"

"No." Emmett remarks. "I am a girl right now." He takes no offense to Rosalie's statement. "She wants to be the prince, let her." His eyes denote the sweetest hint of grace.