Trip to Find

"I can't believe we're here." Jasper states, a sense of fear shaking his words. "You've just signed our death certificates."

"I can feel it. We're getting closer." Carlisle states.

Emmett grimaces, "Closer to the grim reaper. And we didn't actually think they had anything to do with this."

"We still don't." Carlisle anxiously tugs his shirt over his belt. "This is our very last resort. After this, we'll have to disappoint her by breaking our promise. All we need to know is if Sarah is safe."

"And if they don't know or want to tell us?" Jasper peers through the trees at the stone castle that the small town in Alaska has labeled as a bad omen.

"We fight our way out." Emmett pounds his fist into his palm.

Edward jumps down from the tree he was using to check their surroundings and look for any sign of human life that might be in the fortress. "I see humans, but I don't smell them. Just the foul stench of wolf hide."

Carlisle dusts his clothes and straightens his vest. "We can't sit here all day. Let's go, gentlemen."

*Two years ago*

It's the day after Cassie was taken. Carlisle took the day off to be with his family, they didn't get to celebrate her birthday yesterday, but she wasn't up for celebrating. She just wanted to stay inside and have her family close. Cassie rubs her eyes trying to rub away the fuzzy colorful orbs that come from a heavy slumber. When she comes to, the delicious scent of breakfast drags her to the kitchen. Esme gives her a crescent roll with egg, cheese, and bacon in it. A few hungry bites in and she notices her brothers taking luggage and boxes outside.

"Are we going somewhere?" Her words struggle past the food in her mouth.

"We are, but that doesn't mean you should forget your manners." Esme taps her own lips. "Your sisters will help you pack."

"Sorry, mama." Putting her breakfast sandwich down, she straightens her posture. "Where are we going?"

"Your father and I thought it might be nice to have a little family road trip. And you get to decide our destination."

Without missing a beat, Cassie screeches, "Transylvania!"

Jasper stops, dropping the suitcase he was taking outside. Rosalie bumps into him from behind, knocking them both to the floor. They're all completely surprised, even Edward who listens regularly to her thoughts, but her only thoughts right before that moment were how she wanted to steal her father's cologne and one of Rosalie's coats to wear. Carlisle comes out of his office to sit with her, his expression doesn't carry the same hint of confusion everyone else's seems to.

Flustered by the chaos she accidentally caused, Cassie tries to clarify. "Well... That lady mentioned werewolves." She holds up her hand before Carlisle or Esme can say what they normally do after every monster movie. "I know, I know. Werewolves aren't real, but Transylvania IS real and I really want to see the place that all those myths and lores come from. Please." She puts her hands together and begs her hardest. "It doesn't have to be our first visit place, but I would love to see it. That and Greece. Please."

"As long as you understand it's all stories." Carlisle holds her pleading hands between his. "But I think for now it's best you don't watch those silly movies anymore."

"We should go to Greece then. Learn about the culture and mythology." Rosalie brushes through Cassie's hair with her fingers. "It's beautiful, you'll love it. The water is so blue."

Edward hears the thought she's not saying. How she hopes they don't have to go to Alaska to start their search for the little girl. She's terrified of being recognized and taken away again, but pretends to be okay because she thinks her family needs her to be okay now that she's been rescued. They fully understand she isn't going to be okay and feel a road trip may help her.
They don't allow her on the computer except for her language lessons, she was allowed to watch vampire movies, but only the old ones with awful accents and bad costumes. She couldn't at first, but she eventually stopped questioning their quirks and chalked it up to age. Edward says Cassie hasn't connected any dots because her family is too kind and have never tried to drink her blood, although Emmett has pretended to eat her belly many times. Besides, the number one tell that they're not vampires is they don't turn to dust when they go outside during the day.