Chapter Forty One

Hermione and Draco were sitting in the Minister of Magic's office, waiting on Shacklebolt to finish  a meeting he had elsewhere so he could speak with them. Only ten minutes had passed as they sat, hands in laps, when Shacklebolt pushed open the door and closed it behind him. Hermione greeted him with a wide smile and an embrace, while he and Draco passed a courteous nod to one another. When Kingsley extended a hand, there was a beat before Draco accepted the handshake. 

When the three of them were seated, he eyed them both, hands lanced together with his elbows resting on his desk. 

"It is a rare thing, I'd think, to find the two of you sitting in my office," he said. 

"I wish this visit was under better circumstances," Hermione said politely, shifting in her seat to cross her legs. "But things have... progressed, and I thought it was time to come to you directly due to the- seriousness- of the situation." 

Kingsley leaned back in his high-backed chair. "I've been kept up to date regarding everything you and the Weasley's have decided to share with the Ministry. What, might I ask, am I missing?" 

"Before I dive into all this, I'd first like to know why you agreed to have Ginny imprisoned. You fought alongside us in the Battle of Hogwarts. To say we were shocked at Ginny's arrest would be an understatement. Aside from myself, I'm certain the Weasley's deserve an explanation as to why you allowed them to be given a heart attack." 

Kingsley heaved a long sigh, his expression apologetic. "I reached out to Arthur and Molly this morning and apologized to them for the mess of the matter. I agree it escalated more than I would have liked, but my hands were tied in regard to evidence. With the tests conducted by the Ministry, the ones you yourself suggested, Hermione, it came down to Ginny and there was nothing else we could do. Curious how she escaped Azkaban later that night, don't you think?" 

Hermione kept her face passive, her eyes innocent. "Indeed," she replied. 

Shacklebolt snorted and said, "I hope you do not take me for a fool, Hermione. If I was in Arthur's shoes, I would have done the exact same thing, no question about it. But that is in the past now, something I am willing to overlook so long as I am not presented with an undeniable evidence of what occurred that night." 

"I'm assuming you've said as much to the Weasleys?" Hermione asked. 

Kingsley nodded. "I am sorry for everything that transpired that night." His gaze intensified. "And I do mean everything. It is also the Ministry, myself included, that takes full responsibility for the infiltration of our men. The fact that Caspian Delvaux was able to breach our security is completely unacceptable and I have already started a full investigation to ensure we have no traitors amongst us. I will not allow the Ministry to become riddled with turncoats and deceivers like in Voldemort's time." 

At the vehemence in his tone, Hermione shot Draco a sidelong glance, trying to prove that Kingsley was reliable, even if Caspian had managed to slip into the Ministry and frame Ginny. That this meant he would be mindful of Hermione's safety. 

Kingsley put a hand on his desk. "As one of the final members of the Order, Hermione, I want you to know you can trust me. My goal is only ever to ensure the wellbeing and safety of magical citizens throughout England, Scotland, and Wales. That includes your safety as well." 

"Speaking of, I believe I know where Caspian is. And whatever group is assembled to capture him, I intend to be a part of." 

"You're a very skilled witch, Ms. Granger- or is it Mrs. Malfoy? I'd dismissed it as the papers doing what the papers do best; a rumor." 

"A misunderstanding," Draco corrected before Hermione could respond. 

"As I suspected. As I was saying, you're very skilled and have been in the center of this mystery since the beginning, if I'm to understand correctly. I see no reason for you not to be present."