Chapter 52

Remember that CH in Gaelic is pronounced H, like haze, history, human (not like kh), that goes for Fiachna and Emain Macha.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the drawbridge of Sliabh Mis was repaired and successfully tested in action, Niall had no more excuses to delay reporting to the second person of the realm about all the disturbing events that had taken place over the past two seasons. He was certain that Daire Mac Cormac hadn't reported anything. He and Roigh Mac Rowan didn't like each other much.

Come to think of it, who did Daire really like besides his fianna? And who liked Daire himself? Although Cumal, for one, mentioned him without enmity and visited Ath Luain quite often — in Niall's opinion, much oftener than was required to talk business or to go through the cromlech.

Ah, yeah, there was also the Herald of the North, Lord of Beasts Fiachna Mac Braid, who simply adored Daire and readily took part in all his feasts, hunting trips and other entertainments. But then, Daire himself didn't pay much attention to him. Fiachna was handsome, but not pretty or beautiful; attractive, but rather like a mortal, or even like a predatory beast (according to rumors, he could turn into one). He wasn't too smart, never distinguished himself at court, and had no special skills, except for the skill of f&cking like an animal. Niall slept with him once, again while being drunk (the same as with Daire), and didn't seek to repeat the experience. He completely understood Daire's lack of enthusiasm about Fiachna.

Daire Mac Cormac, as the saying went, knew a good thing when he saw it. He strongly preferred the most beautiful and most powerful lords of the Tuatha Dé, who had influence at court, titles, lands, and great magical power. He seemed to have never slept with Roigh, but obviously not for the lack of trying from his part. And if he used on Roigh all his favorite ways of seduction as he had on Niall, it was no wonder that Roigh still rolled his eyes and cringed with disgust as soon as Daire Mac Cormac was brought up in a conversation.

However, what had happened between Daire and Elatha Mac Lir was a complete mystery. By all means, Daire's brutish ways and his barbaric energy should have completely bespelled the Lord of Water. And Daire had to lose his head completely with the beautiful, graceful and delicate Elatha, who seduced, teased, drew to him and then pushed away his lovers. Surely, Elatha would have taught Daire the brute to behave in a polite society and use more elaborate invitations to his bed than "Let's f&ck!"

Hmm, except that could've been exactly what had happened long ago, and then for some reason Daire forgot both Elatha's lessons and Elatha himself. Yeah, sure, that would explain why Elatha never showed open hostility towards Daire, but always treated him with utter contempt and would rather die than publicly agree with even one word from Daire's lips.

Great Danu, for whom would Daire break up with the most beautiful lord of the Tuatha Dé? Well, if Diarmuid Mac Bres were still alive, it would probably be for him. However, Diarmuid had only died a hundred years ago, and Elatha was able to sulk for the much longer period. Niall never thought of that, but Diarmuid was the Keeper of the North then, and Daire was his Steward. What was it like for him to see the beautiful golden-haired Lord of Light and know that he had no chance? Diarmuid was not only the most beautiful, but also the most virtuous lord of the Tuatha Dé. The rumor was that even the Queen had spent fifteen years trying to woo him.

Niall wondered vaguely what was happening now at court, whose high-profile romance occupied gossipers, who managed to bypass Roigh and get into Her Majesty's bed. Was a new fountain or a gallery being built in Emain Macha? Had anyone got a new castle and title? And what did Niall Mac Nechtan care about any of this, come to think of it? He hadn't been to Emain Macha for six months, and this time wasn't going to stay long.