Chapter 57

Ah, Fao was so on point when he jeered at the Sidhe for their duplicity! Niall's confusion didn't last long. He had always been the master of half-truths, not of outright lies. Also, he wouldn't be able to hide the thrall's existence anyway, not if he was about to question Ailill Mac Rossa about ways to disenchant him.

Niall leaned back in his chair and forced himself to smile broadly, even lewdly.

"Roigh Mac Rowan, you have no idea how hot this barbarian is! In fact, I had challenged him to a duel in Airenn only because I couldn't f&ck him right then and there. And when he came to the gates of Sliabh Mis in person, I must admit, I was delighted. I tried very hard not to chop off any useful pieces of him in the heat of battle, because he has a magnificent body, and a matching face — not handsome, not even pretty, but almost beautiful. And, you know, it was clear that he liked men. Which, however, didn't stop him from resisting me as fiercely as if I were going to take his virginity. Although, maybe it was really the case, maybe he has never bottomed for anyone before! Well, basically, one thing led to another, I got so turned on that I totally lost it..."

Roigh sighed, realizing what Niall was driving at. "And wiped his mind out? Why, I hope you at least managed to interrogate him beforehand?"

Niall spread his arms out with a regretful look.

"By Lugh, Niall, how many times have I told you to keep your temper reined in? The leader of the Kirinches, even the youngest of them, is an invaluable source of information about the barbarians' plans, about their skills of summoning demons! Why should I tell you this, you know it perfectly well! You could've tamed him, made him fall in love with you, and he would've told you everything gladly, without any torture or coercion. Even such a blockhead as Daire Mac Cormac had managed to do it once or twice when we fought the war with the Kirinches. But no, you got carried away and forgot about everything except sex. You can't be so single-tasking, Niall Mac Nechtan!"

"There were times when you liked my single-tasking, like when I was very enthusiastically sucking your cock," Niall grunted with displeasure.

Roigh's accusations were much more on point than Roigh himself could've known. Niall really behaved with Fao like a sex-starved idiot. But he had said all those accusations and more to himself, there was no need to hear them all over again from someone else, thank you.

"Don't be vulgar. Daire is a bad influence on you."

"As if I wanted to be under his influence! He is the Keeper of the North, and I have to serve him. You could have appointed me, for example, the Steward of the East, and then I would serve you and be far from the bad influence of Daire Mac Cormac."

"The North is your future inheritance, Niall, you must learn to love and rule it," Roigh explained patiently for the thousandth time. "Someday you will become the Keeper of the North, but only when you are worthy of such a high position. At this rate, it won't happen for quite some time yet. And stop sulking like a child who has broken a vase and says when scolded that the vase fell all by itself."

"Apologies, Milord Queen's Steward!" Niall put a clenched fist to his heart and bowed his head with affected humility.

Roigh loved formalities, even though he usually said otherwise, like a typical hypocrite. Niall had only to make some respectful and solemn gesture of remorse, as a subordinate to his lord, and he would be spared a boring lecture. The main problem was to refrain from smirking smugly (there were a few times when Niall couldn't). He clenched his jaw and gave his face an expression of sincere remorse.

Roigh ran his hand over Niall's bowed head, kissed him gently on the forehead, and Niall breathed a sigh of relief. Done with lectures.

However, Niall felt sadness set in again. If Roigh had known a way to remove the thrall enchantment, if he had at least heard of such a thing, he would certainly order Niall to use it right now.