Chapter IV: The System

Matthew felt as if he was slowly rising into the sky. As if several pairs of hands were pushing against his back to life him.

Matthew opened his eyes, not to the cathedral, but to the open sky. He saw the white blots of clouds wave passed his head as he ascended, but he felt no wind on his face. In fact, he hardly felt anything except the slight force on his back moving him upward.

For a moment, Matthew's body felt weightless until he finally noticed the pressure on his back had been released.

For a frightening second Matthew expected his body to suddenly fall back down through the air. Nonetheless, he still lay suspended in the air.

And that is when a light appeared before him with a strangely familiar ding.

Matthew squinted, his eyes adjusting to the sudden light. But finally, he looked, the bright light seeming to dim to reveal its true form.

Just as quickly as Matthew was awed, he was now somewhat confused.

Before he stood what he could only describe as a 'screen'. The screen was stylized with a mix of gold and pearl with solid light forming its frame. The background was like metallic gold with the words adorned upon it a pure white.

===================================

[You have been chosen as a Brilliant Fragment for your show of heroic courage]

[Do you Accept?]

[Yes/No]

===================================

Matthew scanned over the words once. Twice. A third time. Even still, he couldn't understand what any of it meant.

"Um.... y-yes?" Matthew muttered under his breath.

Suddenly, the screen disappeared, only to reappear with another ding.

===================================

[As a Brilliant Fragment do you swear to destroy the heralds of destruction who descend upon our world]

[Do you accept?]

[Yes/No]

===================================

Matthew's eyes widened. He didn't understand what a 'herald of destruction' was supposed to be. Nonetheless, he still spoke his answer. A hunter's job was to protect the world by closing the gates that opened throughout the world. While Matthew didn't know what or who the "heralds of destruction" were, he was sure it was no better than the gates.

"Yes," Matthew said aloud, now much more sure of himself.

===================================

[Welcome Brilliant Fragment, Matthew Adams]

===================================

Before Matthew could ask anything more, he felt his body suddenly lurch back downwards.

***

"Ahh-" He shouted, shooting up from his hospital bed. He was panting, his heart raced as adrenaline flowed through his body. But then his mind finally caught up to him.

He looked around, confused. He was sitting in a hospital bed. The covers of the bed had been tossed over him at one point, however, due to his sudden movement they had fallen in a heap over his legs.

An IV supplying water to his body was hooked to his arm, as well as many other patches and needles.

The hospital room was barren except for him, to his side was a large window in full view of the city of New York City.