II. how fast the night changes

𝘾𝙧𝙞𝙨𝙥 𝙩𝙧𝙚𝙥𝙞𝙙𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣

    𝘾𝙧𝙞𝙨𝙥 𝙩𝙧𝙚𝙥𝙞𝙙𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣. That's all Felicity felt as she sat in a soft, black leather chair that sat her opposite from her tribute partner, the Underwood kid. She was afraid that recognizing his first name would make everything more sentimental to her. She had already poured out tears in her chair for 20 minutes just thinking solely about her family. It was so unfair. To tear families apart for a killing sport, all for nothing. To pour out more for a boy she didn't even known would be absolutely stupid, at least at this moment. She could feel the ventilation of cold air blast from above her, making all hairs on her body stand up, as if it could defend her from harm. The Dearborne girl knew better than that. She was no longer an invisible face in the plains of North Panem. No, she now was a toy for the Capitol to dress up & chuck into an arena, betting on her or perhaps waiting for her to bleed out on the battlefield. Made no difference to her what they root for, all she could focus on was staying alive. Staying alive....

The cabin door slowly slid open, forcing Felicity to glance her eyes at the threshold where three people walked in, two of them all too familiar. Willa Knightley. The other two, a man that seemed to be slightly younger than her father & Adelaide Greene. Her games were the first games she was allowed to watch at 8 years old. Her parents tried shielding her for as long as possible but eventually her peers at school sparked her curiosity. A curiosity she regrets. Felicity noticed the blonde woman take a sharp breath in, looking at her mentees this year. Something in her gut trembled, knowing they'd be different than all the ones that came before. Adelaide regained composure quicker than it had left her.

"As much as I'd love to explain this with niceties and distractions, I'm sure you both are beginning to sense the gravity of what you've been selected for." The unknown man spoke up from the dead air, making Tobias & Felicity briefly look at one another before looking at the man again, their neck remaining stiff in the position of the shared glance between the two children. Both of the mentors seemed to sport a smile. Were they happy? Felicity mentally cursed herself. How could any Victor ever regain the privilege of happiness after going through actual Hell?

"My name is Oren Ledger, Victor of the 52nd Hunger games...regretfully. This sweet woman next to me is Adelaide Greene, Victor of the 60th Games. Excuse her if she's a bit melancholy, it's hard every year for those who get dragged back out." Oren pats a forceful hand on Adelaide's shoulder, which earns the man a small yet noticeable glare. In turn, this makes the 12 year old force back a small giggle that would've entered the air around him. But, even for his age, he knew it would be impolite to do so.

"I'm very sorry the Capitol does that to you." Felicity couldn't shove the words that tumbled out of her mouth faster than they came out. She meant every word she said, but she figured sorrow cannot change the situation.

"So are we. But, there is no time to waste on pity. Pity couldn't save us and it can't save you. Tactical planning can. I'm positive that as you know, you both will be propelled into a hostile arena with 22 other tributes. Some prepared, others not. Only one of you will come out alive to be the Capitol's treasure. This next week, Adelaide & I will be working closely with you & training you both to be the most informed & practiced you can be." Oren takes a intake of air in but it wasn't him who spoke next.