IV. all the things she said

S𝙤 𝙨𝙞𝙡𝙚𝙣𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙘𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙧 𝙖 𝙥𝙞𝙣 𝙙𝙧𝙤𝙥

S𝙤 𝙨𝙞𝙡𝙚𝙣𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙘𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙧 𝙖 𝙥𝙞𝙣 𝙙𝙧𝙤𝙥. That's what Felicity thought of the stale air in the waiting area before all the tributes go into the Training Centre to report for individual assessment. Every now & then, a slight cough or whisper between partners would be shared, but it seems no one had the courage to talk aloud. One by one, Tributes would be called over the intercom and be sent in, walking into a room where you await to be judged by merits unknown to you. It seemed so arbitrary but alas, so intimidating. The air seemed stale, like the growing spirits of the Tributes. And the Peacekeepers, well, they seemed normal (standing there like a statue).

Throughout this time of endless boredom, Felicity took one of her mother's lessons and brought it out to play: "Observe quietly and you'll have an advantage no one knows you have". So that's what she did. She observed as the Tributes slowly trickled out of the room and into Individual Assessment.

The District 1 male was the first to go, the same guy she got uncomfortable with during Training. he seemed like he had it all figured out. His plan & all. Felicity knew he would be one of the highest scores when it's announced in mid-afternoon. Along with the District 4 girl who was one of those who whispered to their partners about advice. The girl couldn't make out much but it seemed as though they knew a lot about spears & swimming. Felicity prayed she wasn't in a water based arena as she had no experience with water. I mean, all she's ever been surrounded by was fields that seemed to stretch for miles. After a while of observing, she started to zone out and worry about what the Assessment would be like and hoping she would make her Mentors proud. Her inner monologue came to a screeching halt when the intercom sounded once more.

"Felicity Dearborne." Felicity's eyes shot to the empty seats in front of her and then to the open corridor with the Peacekeepers arms stretched out as a way to welcome her in. She cleared her dry throat and looked to Tobias who remained next to her. She gave a nervous smile to him and stood up, tapping her butterfly ring nervously.

"Good luck." Felicity smiled at the encouragement, tightening her sleek ponytail and ensuring her two small framing braids look presentable in the front.

Walking in, her eyes dart to the balcony which held none other than Icarus Rousseau and the hoard of sponsors that socialized loudly over the food and drinks that were presented for them. Her eyes glared slightly, but she maintained a soft exposure to ensure she is respected. She stops in the middle of the room and turns to them, mainly Icarus.

"Felicity Dearborne, District 9." As soon as she uttered her District, she heard echos of slight scoffs come from some of the sponsors. Sure, 9 usually doesn't last more than a day or two in the games, but it was always a new year. And Felicity was determined to prove them wrong. Walking over to the weapons, she eyed the handheld metal Sickle and turned on the simulation that allowed her to spar someone.

As it turned on, she got into self-defense move as the simulation used a holographic dagger. She started to move around, dodging the stabbing attacks it tried to plunge at her. Each time it failed by mere inches. Felicity tried to slash at it, but it was just as quick as she was. The simulation then ran at her and she had no choice but to approach it and slide under the holographic legs and prop herself up on one knee with her arm outstretched behind her for stabilization.