I do

Published on: May 06, 2023.

****************

Is he late?

Nahhh...... How can he be? He still has some time, won't be late today.

Aaahhh... a cup of coffee in the morning and being so sure about the day ahead, he has this feeling, today's going to be his best day—he knew it; just the thought of it makes his feet tingle, and a happy melody skips his lips. He hums, taking another sip of coffee, and glancing out of the window.

Strangely, why does the road look more deserted than usual? Where goes the morning rush? Office guys running for cabs, students running for the school bus...

Hmmm, odd....

He glanced over at the clock hanging on his right. 7 am. still got some time, and took another sip, but wait, wasn't it 7 a.m. a bit ago when he made coffee? He looked at the clock with enlarged eyes, No fucking way, it can't. Shoot, he took down the clock, slapping on it, like his slaps were going to spark some magic...

Fuck, a trail of curses followed his every step, as he stumbled towards his room, finding the gadget he barely used, his phone. Where the hell is his phone? Oh, Oh got it, but of course, it was drained. In what century is he living? He is doomed...

He put his phone on charge and ran to wear his clothes, there was no time for a shower. He could sense he was freaking late on this special day, How could he? Jeeze.

Three hours, he is late for three hours, oh goodness, what excuse he can make for such behaviour, What should he say? Oh, almighty, save his ass today...

Add another half hour to that lateness, because his car decided to flatten itself just like that, his heart was exploding with nerves, he reached the restaurant almost sliding all the way to the venue, flipping his haris to get some comfort, his destined table was already occupied with people he was supposed to meet, everyone was chatting around, his mother laughing at some joke, his father having his coffee and last bite of croissant, but that's not his main worry, the man in the middle with crossed arms, and furrowed brows, his jaw clutching occasionally holding his phone, dear lord save him, he gave a last nod to himself and went to the table with a smile...

"Ummmm," he clears his throat, "I am, I..."

His mother smiled at him, "Did your tire flatten?"

He nods Yaa, it does.

"Your clock must be jammed."

He nods again, "Yes, Lord, yes, it does. He kept on stealing glances at the guy with furrowed brows, that all of it was true, it really happens, but the guy didn't flinch a bit...

"What about the phone??" His father poked his sides, "Was it dead??"

He nodded faster than he ever could, still looking at the only man who looked unamused in this whole conversation. He gulped.

"I knew it." She looked at his father, "I won the bet." They high-fived, looking at the other elderly couple beside them giggling together. His face dropped; what could be worse than his own parents betting on him? And the man he cares about was glaring holes in his head, he swears he didn't mean to...

Scritchhhhhhh, the chair scrunched, and the man stood tall in front of him, expression stoic, hard to judge, but he knew best. After being with this guy for five years, he was going to explode. He backed up a bit, "Umm... P.."

"Good luck, Rain," his parents giggle again. God, please strangle him.

He chewed his lips and without much thought threw his arms around the man's neck, It didn't matter if their parents were looking at him, he had to make it fast. His thumb went on knotted brows, trying to loosen the tense muscles a bit...