15. Dante

ABOUT LAST NIGHT

"Has your wife gotten any threats between last year and now?"

I looked detective Herrera straight in the eyes and lied. "No, not that I know of. And if she did, she would have told me."

"Why would she tell you?"

"Because I'm her husband."

"Wives don't tell their husbands everything."

The man looked at me as if I was clueless about how marriages work. And maybe I was. I yelled at Carla yesterday and told her to grow up, so yeah, I still had a lot to learn. I knew this was a difficult transition for her, but fuck, everything I did was to protect her.

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair before leaning back in my chair. "I know you don't have any leads. How come? One of those girls had to have bought something. Maybe said something to another?"

"We found no strange items in their purchases that would lead us to believe that one of them did it. Could the poison have been handed to them by someone else?"

Fuck yeah. My sister is the number one suspect.

When I took too long to answer, Detective Herrera leaned forward and clasped his hands together on the desk. "Mr. Caneos, we need your cooperation to solve this case. We understand that this is a difficult time for you and your wife, but any information you can provide could be crucial in finding out who did this to her."

"The answer to what happened to my wife lies with those three women. That I know."

"We need proof, and right now we don't have a single lead."

"Then do your job."

"I assure you that I always take my job seriously and will get to the bottom of this."

I nodded. "Good. This poison, how easy is it to get?"

"Not easy. It's usually a case of knowing someone who knows someone. I'm assuming that's not the kind of business your family is into?"

"Do you know something I don't know?"

"What's your family's business exactly? And I'm not talking about what's in the newspapers and tabloids."

"And this information is relevant to this case how?"

"Your ex-girlfriend was allegedly murdered by the Galician Clan. Your family has ties with the clan, do they not?"

"Are you asking for research purposes? If not, I fail to see the relationship between that and what happened to Carla."

"Could someone in your family, and by family I mean the whole clan, want her dead?"

"If I knew the answer to that, we wouldn't be sitting here having this conversation." Because that someone would have already been dead. Except, right now, the someone is my sister and I'm too cowardly to pull the trigger on her. "I have no involvement with the clan, so no."

Herrera stood up and shoved his notebook into his pocket. "Fine. I will keep you and your wife updated with any progress we make. In the meantime, keep her safe and trust no one."

I stood up as well and reached to shake his hand. His grip was strong. Trustworthy. But then again, he did say not to trust anyone.

"Thank you for taking this seriously."

"I take all my cases seriously, no matter how insignificant they may seem." With that said, he walked out the door just as Sergio showed up.

"Boss."