16. Dante

BACK TO WORK

The next day, I went back to work at the restaurant, and as previously discussed, Carla set up her little office at the back where I stored documents and receipts for tax purposes.

Sergio and a couple of other men were posted strategically around the restaurant. All dressed in suits to fit in with the people eating there, which were mainly corporate clientele or couples.

As the lunch rush hit its peak, I worked tirelessly alongside my sous chef, Twan, in the bustling kitchen. The sizzling sounds of searing meats, the aromatic blend of spices, and the clattering of pots and pans filled the air. It was a symphony of culinary artistry, the kind of harmonious chaos that I usually thrived in.

While my focus was dedicated to crafting exquisite dishes, my thoughts couldn't help but drift to Carla, tucked away in her makeshift office.

I would walk by whenever I could just so I could catch glimpses of her immersed in her work. With her hair tied up in a neat bun, her eyes fixed on the computer screen, and a determined expression gracing her face, she appeared to be in her element.

Her passion and dedication were things I always admired about her.
Despite the restaurant being abuzz with activity, I found myself checking on her way too often, my concern mingling with a growing infatuation.

After the rush hour cooled down a bit, I stopped by to bring her lunch. Sergio opened the door for me, and I leaned against the doorframe, watching her intently. As I took her in, I marveled at her ability to navigate the digital realm with such finesse, her fingers gliding effortlessly across the keyboard, crafting captivating posts and engaging content.

Sensing my presence, she looked up, a warm smile spreading across her face.

"I thought you planned on locking me in this room forever without food."

"It got busy, cariño. I made you a quinoa salmon salad with rucola and bell peppers."

"Sounds delish. Thank you," she said with excitement. "All this hard work has me hungry."

I placed the dish before her and pointed at her water bottle which was more than halfway full. "Drink your water. That should have been empty by now."

"Yes, yes, I'll drink more water."

I watched her carefully. "How's it going? I know this space isn't the office you're used to at home."

"It's fine." She mixed the salad on her plate and took a huge bite. "Hmm, so good. You won't believe which company contacted me to run a social media campaign for them."

"Tell me."

She paused for dramatic effect. "Dior Espanja."

"That's huge, babe. How big is this campaign supposed to be?"

"Huge," she said, making a half-circle motion with her hands. "They want everything. Post, videos, reels, TikTok, you name it."

I frowned. "You're a one-man marketing firm. You need to think about this. With everything going on, I don't want you to stretch yourself too thin."

"No, this is what I need right now, but you're right. I'm going to have to hire someone."

A knock sounded at the door and we both paused to look at each other.

"Yeah," I said.

The door opened and Twan poked his head. "A big group just came in. We got work to do."

"Of course, I'll be right there." The door fell shut behind Twan and I turned to face Carla. "Gonna have to continue this conversation later."

"Okay."