34. Dante

EPITOME OF BEAUTIFUL

"You've got to be kidding me," I practically growled at Eli as he pointed his gun at my chest. "Why are you here pointing a fucking gun in my face?"

Eli, a big, six-foot man with low cropped hair looked at me shrewdly. "Eduardo didn't deserve to die like that, man."

"No shit. Neither did Madeleine and Eva. Get the hell out of my face with that bullshit. Carla would ride or die for you and you betrayed her." I took a confident step toward him, unfazed by the gun in his hand. "You have no idea how worried my wife was about you. She called your phone numerous times and asked Madeleine and Eva if they'd heard anything from you. So, seeing you here speaks volumes about your character."

"You're wrong," Eli sneered. "Carla betrayed us by marrying you."

"Did she now?"

"Listen, man, if she never met you, Eduardo would still be alive. Your entire family, including your witch of a sister, has to pay for what you did."

I raised an eyebrow, the fuse on my patience waning. "What I did?"

"Madeleine's depression after witnessing Eduardo's death led to her suicide. And Eva died because she was your wife's best friend. Mathias accidentally left a bottle of poison out, and because she hadn't been given any water for a long time, she drank it out of desperation."

Despite my grief, a short burst of laughter escaped me. "Mathias is playing you, and you're too blind to see it. Now, zip your fucking mouth and take me to my wife."

Eli blocked my exit, his gun pointed at my chest. "Mathias is the most honest person I met from your clan. He's going to need help after he takes over. Annabella is the reason Eduardo and his son died, so she needs to go. He swears you're different, that after he passes, he can trust you to lead the clan down the right path. I'm sorry, but your sister is a psycho, man."

"Then you need to take that shit up with her. My wife has nothing to do with this."

Behind me, Mathias spoke up.  "Oh, but she does. As long as she's useful to you, you will never put the clan first."

"What part of I don't want anything to do with the clan don't you understand?"

"What part of you don't have a choice don't you understand? Your idiotic sister had my son killed. She's not fit to lead and that makes you next in line."

My hands fisted at my side as my anger reached a boiling point. "If I don't see my wife in thirty seconds or less, I will have no choice but to use violence."

Mathias nodded at Eli, who then turned and walked out of the room. I followed him, thinking about the best way to get rid of my uncle.

Eli stopped at the next door, hand hovering over the doorknob, hesitant. "She's not doing well, man."

"Is she alive?"

"Barely. She got the lesser dosage of Mathias's poison, but that shit is powerful. Damaging."

Eli opened the door and I held my breath. The first thing I noticed was the overly bright lights. I blinked to protect my eyes, allowing them to adjust to the harsh environment.