CHAPTER 17

Starscream padded around the Vosian markets, smiling as he looked around at the various stalls.

Blackarachnia and Airazor were finally moving out of their apartment and going to Caminus. It took some convincing from Starscream and him lying about finding a place in Iacon, but it was finally happening. He wanted to help them move out, but they insisted that he take their newbuild (whose name, he found, was Transmutate) to the markets while they moved their possessions onto a ship.

The young bot was quite apprehensive of leaving Starscream's side at first, but eventually did go to interact with other younglings and newbuilds.

Around this time of the solar-cycle, there were dozens of bots at the markets. Starscream remembered a time where he had to rebuild the markets with the help of the few other fliers that were left. Now, it was as bustling and busy as it had been before the war. Young bots running about as their more responsible friends or caretakers shopped, carrying items in their arms and chatting with others. Starscream participated in the activities, buying his favorite Vosian Energon sweets from a particular stall (the old bot that made the sweets even remembered him from before the war) as a departure gift to Transmutate.

Speaking of, he looked back at where he last saw them, and smiled when he found them. The young bot was in their alt mode – a cream-white raptor with some pale tealish stripes – chasing others in a friendly game of tag. The older bots around didn't seem to mind that there was a techno-organic in the midst of mechanical beings. The young bots were just having a good time, laughing and running away from Transmutate. The raptor's tail was flicking back and forth happily like a Cyberwolf, maw slightly parted and making small, happy trills.

Starscream smiled as he observed from a distance. The newbuild was so happy being amongst their peers, and the others seemed just as happy. That made the flier's smile fall just as quickly as it appeared. Transmutate was finally comfortable enough to be with someone besides their caretakers (apparently a difficult feat, and that someone being Starscream of all bots was quite a surprise), and he was about to abandon them.

Is leaving truly a good idea? Is it worth it?

Starscream shook his helm. He had to do this. If he couldn't have a normal life, then he could at least give the chance for others to have one. He stood idly by, watching to be sure no one was going to hurt Transmutate, or Transmutate was going to hurt anyone. His waiting and watching paid off, as he received a notification from Blackarachnia that they finished moving everything and to meet them at the docks. That wasn't far from the market. He gave a one-word response, then straightened and comm'd the newbuild.

::Time to go::

The raptor immediately stopped, paused for a moment, then transformed. They quickly informed the others that they had to go, said their goodbyes, then hurried to Starscream's side. Their servo immediately found its way to hold the flier's, and they quickly made their way out of the crowded Vosian markets and onto quieter main roads.

"Did you enjoy the markets?" Starscream asked.

The young bot quickly nodded, looking up at the flier with a big smile.

"It was fun. C-can we go back sometime?" They asked in a quiet voice.

Yet another achievement made with Transmutate – they felt comfortable with talking outside of comms. Sure, it was mostly around peers or those who were considered to be part of their unit, but it was progress nonetheless.

However, the question made Starscream's Spark break. How could he lie to them? It'd feel like lying to Skywarp that they'd make it to the end together, or to Jetfire that they'd remain friends through all. Still, he forced a smile onto his face.