CHAPTER 5: I play pinochle with a horse

I had weird dreams full of barnyard animals. Most of them wanted to kill me. The rest wanted food. Then Ara was in the background screaming about someone named Dumblewhore and Reggie was dancing in a ballerina dress.

Dumbledore blinked several times before his face slowly turned red.

Draco had buried his face into Hermes shoulder to stop himself from laughing, Reggie just stared blankly at Percy. "A ballerina dress?" He whispered, sounding like everything had broken inside him. Ara sighed, "Nice going Percy," She hissed. "You broke my Papa!"

I must've woken up several times, but what I heard and saw made no sense, so I just passed out again. I
remember lying in a soft bed, being spoon-fed something that tasted like buttered popcorn, only it was
pudding. The girl with curly blond hair hovered over me, smirking as she scraped drips off my chin with
the spoon.

Will frowned, "Annabeth, why where you there?" Annabeth straightened up, "Chiron had given me permission." Will turned to Chiron. "Why was she in there? She's not certified, yes she's able to heal basic injuries, but Percy horribly injured, someone from Apollo cabin should have been called, not Annabeth." Chiron frowned, "Will she's been at camp for a long time, she is able to heal people."

Will clenched his jaw, gripping Nico's hand to calm himself down. "Chiron you can't play favorites when it comes to injuries." Apollo cut in, noticing how his son was slowly growing angry. "Percy was injured, yes Annabeth is capable, we have seen how she's been able to heal minor cuts and a broken leg or two. But Percy did not have the body experienced for that type of injury, and Annabeth did not know how to properly heal that injury without ambrosia and nectar. Yes, she has been at camp a long time, but that does not mean she is experienced with healing."

Chiron pursed his lips, "Lord Apollo-"

"No." Annabeth cut him off this time, "I shouldn't have been allowed in, I was confident and cocky back then and abused the fact that I had been at camp longest to be let in. I was wrong. An Apollo kid should have been brought in."

Ara smiled softly, Annabeth has made a lot of personal growth, two years ago she would've said that she was supposed to be there, now she's admitting when she's wrong.

When she saw my eyes open, she asked, "What will happen at the summer solstice?"
I managed to croak, "What?"

Annabeth winced, "Sorry Percy." Percy nodded but stared at her, she was acting different, confused. She fidgeted when she hugged him, like she wasn't certain. Then again he wasn't sure either.

He knew he was pansexual, he knew he liked Annabeth. The only problem was, he didn't know in what way he liked her. When she kissed him near the lake, he just went with it, not understanding what he felt. But now he was doubting that he had ever liked Annabeth that way in the first place.

She looked around, as if afraid someone would overhear. "What's going on? What was stolen? We've only got a few weeks!"

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, "I don't..."
Somebody knocked on the door, and the girl quickly filled my mouth with pudding.

"Sorry." Annabeth whispered again.

The next time I woke up, the girl was gone.
A husky blond dude, like a surfer, stood in the corner of the bedroom keeping watch over me. He had
blue eyes— at least a dozen of them—on his cheeks, his forehead, the backs of his hands.

Hera smiled fondly.

When I finally came around for good, there was nothing weird about my surroundings, except that they
were nicer than I was used to. I was sitting in a deck chair on a huge porch, gazing across a meadow at
green hills in the distance. The breeze smelled like strawberries. There was a blanket over my legs, a
pillow behind my neck. All that was great, but my mouth felt like a scorpion had been using it for a nest.
My tongue was dry and nasty and every one of my teeth hurt.