Ch.1- One Hellish Night

Cassandra White POV:

'He looked at me, and I just knew it "Mate" he says. My eyes water, and I run and leap into his arms. I just know we will spend the rest of our lives together I feel loved, and we will live happily ever after. THE END' 

I slam the book closed, and I can't hold my laughter in anymore. "hahaha, this is bs. Mortals sure are interesting, that's not even close to how it works, and it's very unrealistic I don't know why Ellie even reads this stuff." I suppose I said that or laughed a little too loud, considering it's one am and I just woke up the man lying next to me. I sigh and say,

"Sorry I woke you, I didn't mean to be that loud." Justin sits up, putting his glasses on as he says.

"You know it's not supposed to be realistic, Cassy. It's a romance book; people read them because they crave romance, not reality." He laughs. I smile saying "Yeah, your right, think I've read enough for tonight I'm going to get some rest, okay, goodnight."

He leans over, saying goodnight, and tries to kiss me, I swiftly turn my head, and instead, he kisses my cheek. I give him a slight smile as I turn the lamp off. Fixing my pillows, I lie down and turn until I'm facing the window with my back facing him. 

Of course, he thinks that's the part I was referring to. I like romance books if they are well written, but I'm talking about the mates thing. That's not even close to how it works for werewolves or any other supernatural being. We don't look at each other and just know we can't 'smell' it on each other because ew first of all. A person's mate usually is their own species but does not have to be; it's not super common, but it could be a vamp, witch, fairy etc. Or even a mortal, but that's extremely rare to see like 1 out of 1000 supernatural beings rare. Finding a mate is complicated as hell.

Most people, if they are lucky enough to find their mate, it's when they touch, but even then, if one or both people don't want a mate bond, it's essentially a blocker, and you won't feel a thing despite both of you being 'destined' for each other. Plus, there are only certain times in the year you can even feel the 'sparks' of the touch and that time of year is in a few days. 

During the Great War 100 years ago a lot of the supernatural population started to dwindle due to obvious reasons. With every species at each other's throats killing each other, finding your mate was impossible for a lot of people. A lot of us almost went extinct, to combat this since the peace treaties were signed, The Council throws a ball 2 times a year for anyone who is interested in potentially finding their mate. It's on treaty grounds meaning all species are welcome and no one is allowed to harm anyone else there. It seems to have worked; the supernatural population is slowly growing again.

Its a very Lavish event & even if you don't want a mate, If you are a high-ranking official or receive a personal invite from the council, you are expected to be there. A lot of leaders go to support their people and get a chance to get to know other clans, coven, or pack leaders, which is why I am required to be there this year. I've never been personally because my dad said I could not go.

I should have gone last year but they gave me a pass since my dad had recently passed away around that time frame. Then a second pass because our pack was facing some light attacks, and I had to be there. I sigh and get irritated at the same time thinking of him, he was a great mate to my mom, an even better father to me, and one of the most respected Alphas out of the Supernatural realm. Losing him destroyed my mom to the point I hardly recognized her. For me losing him hurt me to my core of course, but it also forced me to become Alpha of our pack way sooner than anticipated. 

I have all this shit swirling inside my head and most definitely will not be sleeping, I might as well go home. I bring all my attention to listen to see if Justin's heartbeat is slowed enough to the point he is asleep and it is. Getting out of bed slowly, I put my regular clothes on and grab my shoes and the book Ellie gave me, and head towards the front door, grabbing my keys. As I'm sneaking out, I can't help but laugh at myself.