Ch. 2-Dreams Are Not Better Than Reality

Cassandra White POV:

"CASSSYYYYYY SO HELP ME GODS IF YOU DON'T GET DOWN HERE I'M LEAVING WITHOUT YOU!!!!" I open my eyes, and I am shocked, not just because that's my mom's voice yelling at me, but because I'm in my old room. Sitting up and getting out of bed I look at my calendar, and I'm not shocked that the date is the same one I found out my dad passed away. I sigh. This is the same damn dream over and over again it is like some sort of torture the gods want to put me through because I can never change the outcome. 

I just have to relive that day over and over like a fever dream, I can never forget the last thing I heard my mom say in the last two years was her screaming in pain as her mate mark burned her skin as it disappeared. I remember rushing her to the clinic in a panic and processing the mark disappearing. I can never forget my feeling of dread and hurt when Josh also showed up at the hospital crying. 

Or the feeling of his hug when he told me something happened to his Dad Bill, which makes sense he was my dad's BETA and would never let anything happen to his Alpha without trying to stop it. I remember waiting hours for reports on what happened. The pack was panicked, and I finally remembered the gut-wrenching feeling in my stomach and the tears falling down my face as I was reported on their deaths.

A house fire, I called bullshit. It had to be an attack to try and take over the pack or something. The night before, he left, saying he was meeting up with someone from Blackwell Wolf Pack to talk about a contract. I was angry and wanted to go fight them then and there, but I was told they had also lost their alpha too. Which is honestly worse. Either a coup happened, or they were attacked by something else. Either way, there is no way they would just lie down and die in that fire. 

The Blackwell Wolf Pack is ranked Number One in Combat; they produce some of the smartest, fastest, ruthless fighters within the supernatural realm, so hearing their own alpha died made me rethink my decision. They could think we are responsible for what happened too, and attack at any time.

It would be dumb to start a war with the strongest fighters. Instead, I ordered our emissary to their territory to convey a message of peace. In the letter, I  wrote,

'We had nothing to do with what happened and do not want a war seeing as we both suffered great losses. I am asking for approval for the council to do an investigation if you are okay with that. seeing as it is on your land? I imagine you would like to know what happened as much as I would. -Alpha C. White'

 Unsure of who their new alpha would be, it was hit or miss if this peace would work. But it was my best bet at keeping everyone else safe. Confused, angry, sad, grief-stricken, and panicked, I never slept that night due to everything.

Within 24 hours, I lost my dad, my mom lost her mate, and the pack lost its Alpha and Beta. Josh lost his only parent, & Weirdly, I knew I had lost my mom. She had to be sedated for how hysterical she was acting. 

That was the last night I cried in the past two years, I knew myself, and Josh would automatically be promoted to Alpha and Beta. When the dust settles, adjusting to the role would be interesting. We were trained by our fathers to take over 'one day,' but that was meant to be at least another 4-5 years down the line, so they obviously did not teach us everything.

"Cassy.... Casssyyyyyyyyy..............wake up!!!!" Josh's voice echoes through my head, and when I open them, I see a grin on his face as he is standing next to my hospital bed. Right once again, what a charming dream to have. 

"Wow, you look like shit; hospital bed not as comfy as your Tempurpedic?" He laughs like it's the funniest joke in the world. 

"Ha- ha, very funny, Josh, I would say you also look like shit, but that's just your normal everyday look." His smile drops, and silence fills the room as we stare at each other. I can't do it anymore and start dying laughing as does he.