Chapter 16: Jewel Thieves

Adrien steadily drove up to Orson manor. Tucked away from the bustle of Helsing, set comfortably near the forest of old Illunis. A mighty estate that survived the witch fires of the Arcane graced with the gentle glow of the moon against the marble walls, a witness to its grandeur. The creeping trees guarded its sanctity, keeping its secrets hidden from the rest of Alegria. Yards of roses and olive branches shifting from side to side as a glamour to wandering souls that dared to trot up to the estate, a reminder of its opulence that cost way too much but was not worth the sacrifice.

It had its own history, a well-known fact that the Orson's did not erect its high walls and lush gardens. The whole city knew of its previous occupants, the reason behind the phantom ball. But to Adrien, all the truths clustered in myths had to be set aside. He was a man on mission, willing to dig deep in the pits of hell for a glimmer of gold. Or in his case, the Pristine Pearls. A string of ornate gems that lustered like no other pearl before. Birthed from the deep blue, from a single oyster that made each Pearl during the Arcane. A rear thing for something so beautiful to blossom in hades mouth.

Until the festivities of the Night of the Phantom Parade began, he'd have to treat it as any other family home. And he, along with Benita, were their guests.

A maid was already standing out in the parking lot for them. She promptly went up to the car, greeted them with a loving smile, then brought them into the Manor.

Rosemary and the lingering smoke scented the halls. The walls painted a lovely hue of sky blue that had been darkened by the night, set with dizzying streaks of gold feathers etched into the porcelain carvings that decorated the walls.

The maid was quick in her steps, rushing them down the long stretch of walls and paintings to where their host had been waiting for them.

It wasn't long till they reached the family room, setting foot into the large open space. The vaulted cupola was held up by swivelling rows of rose quartz pillars. Above them, like any baroque Alegrian home was a painting. Adrien craned his neck up to catch sight of what the manor deemed worth to have displayed on her ceiling. A woman. She was half naked, having on a piece of white cloth to cover her bare nipples and private parts. Ginger curly hair flowed down the side of her of her body, as she sat in an open oyster shell. Staring down wistfully at the room's occupants. Other than that, the room was kept simple according to Adrien's standards. White velvety furniture lotted the open hall with porcelain tables. The Pillars had roses carved out of the rose quartz, an intricate intertwining of petals and vines. And, instead of a chandelier hanging overhead, the light came from each pillar. From lanterns made of crystals that were shaped into tears, an enchanting blue that sought to emulate the moon.

Sitting on the couch with a fleece wrapped around her body was their host. She was reading a book by the fireplace already sparked aflame. The maid scurried to her side and alerted her of their presence. The host waved a hand, and the maid backed away. She turned around and with her icy blue eyes, caught sight of Adrien and Benita.

Adrien smiled, but his eyes went on to study her paling skin. Clammy and cold yet filled with a queer iridescence. "It's been a while, Clementine," he said.

She too smiled, with an awfully piercing gaze. Setting down her book onto the wooden coffee table before her, she responded, "Last time I saw you, you were zipping down Mulberry Lane with Donatella Cosima at your side. And a few days after that, she was at my doorstep with tear-stained eyes talking about how you dumped her and went back to Port Vernon."

Adrien chuckled. How could he forget. The poor girl was insufferably clingy, griping about the lack of attention he gave her. As soon as he got the call from his father to return to Port Vernon, he wasted no time, leaving a one line note at her doorstep, then driving back home. The following week, Donatella's father threatened to sue his family for seduction. They even went the extra mile and claimed that Donatella was pregnant with his child. Adrien's father chewed him out for his recklessness but bailed him out in the end. It didn't take much to prove Adrien's innocence. The Cosima's had no legal standing, the courts refusing to believe a 16-year-old had seduced a 19-year-old girl. And even after the child was born, all claims against his family had fallen. The little girl she bore, was born with brown eyes. That was enough proof.