001.

001 - THE DETECTIVE.

"This headache is for you, you damn criminal."

"Really? Oh my, I'm honored you'd dedicate something to me."

━━▲━━

   Shikanoin Heizou took pride in being the sharpest and most successful detective of the Tenryou Commission. He had always known that with his intuition, he could catch any criminals with ease. Under his gaze, the criminals cry and scream in fear, pissing their pants and handing themselves over to him with handcuffs and all.

  ...Okay, maybe things aren't that extreme. But there was one thing he was sure of, and that was his skills, and by extension, his intuition were one of the very best, if not the best.

  With his expertise, no evil will escape his fingertips.

  Well, that was what he thought, until a certain criminal came along.

  Name. No last name, just Name. A wanted fugitive, for things he couldn't even count with both hands. Despite his long years of dealing with people like them, even he was surprised when he took a glance at the long, long list of crimes this criminal had. He couldn't believe how they went incognito for so long until now, so exactly what had happened to them that made them blow their own cover? Judging from their resume in crime, he would've guessed that they were smart enough to forever stay hidden.

  But here they were, looking at the camera that caught them in the act, smiling with their tongue out. They even made a pose, for celestia's sake! If insanity wasn't listed in their profile, he sure as hell would add it in there himself.

  Heizou huffed, eyes scanning across the messy desk piled with paperwork once more. Stacks upon stacks of crimes committed by the fugitive, but never information about who they were. It was as if they never existed before this.

  It has been several months since he had started working on this case, and everytime he swore he touched them, they would escape and slip through his fingertips, again and again, just like the eels he tried catching the last time he went for a fishing trip. Perhaps it wasn't fair to the eels if he compared those innocent creatures to a criminal like them, but a metaphor is needed to express how frustrated he was with both animals slithering out of his hands with ease.

  Ahem. Back to the criminal. 

  It unnerved him for months, as he stayed up awake at night, staring at the ceiling and thinking about what had gone wrong to cause his failure.

  However, for some reason, he still found the process to be exhilarating.

  It had been awhile since he found a case that kept him on his toes for so long, after all. All the previous ones he worked on were hard, that's for sure, but there was nothing that could ever compare to the thrill in this one.

  A throb in his mind made him pause, one hand moving to support his head while the other moved to hold onto the desk.

  Other than the thrill, he guessed that no other cases could ever compare to the headaches this one gave as well...

━━▲━━

Written on : 29 april 2023. 

(530 words)