002.

002, THE CRIMINAL.

"The person who drew this poster wanted me so bad fr."

"I see. So this is delusions at its finest! "

━━▲━━

As the city lights dimmed and the crowds began to dissolve, only one being stood under the moonlit sky, watching and stalking quietly from above. Their eyes scanned the grounds, searching for their next prey like a hawk looking for its next prey. When a shimmer of light glimmered and caught their eye, they swooped in with the skills of an expert, successfully swiping what they had come for.

"Thank you for the meal, sir!" Name grinned, a cheeky smile on their face as their teeth crunched on the hard sugared shell of a candied fruit, feeling the sweetness and sourness clashing on their tongue with each bite. The man sighed, chuckling with a look of fondness in his eyes.

"It's no problem, kid. It's my treat as thanks for saving me and my stall here," he began, his hands moving to hold the apron right above his heart and clenched it tightly, crumpling the red cloth. "However...I'd appreciate it if you don't sneak up on this old man here again...I've had enough excitement today." He huffed, cold sweat dripping down his forehead as he remembered the incidents that happened earlier.

Despite that, he had a small smile on his face as he watched his savior enjoy their meal, cheeks puffing up after stuffing their face with the sweet treat. He thanked the archons for sending him this angel from Celestia, for saving his stall and himself from demise. If it weren't for them, he could've sworn he will be meeting his childhood dog today.

'And my ancestors as well, I guess.' The stall owner thought, with a blank look on his face.

"That was amazing! Thanks again, sir!"

He shook his head slightly to focus on the person before them, a smile returning. "Ah, I should be the one thanking you, stranger." He repeated another thanks for the nth time this day, before looking around the streets to make sure it was empty. Then, he leaned in, whispering at them with curiosity in his mind.

"Say, where did you learn all those moves? It felt like I was watching Doushin Shikanoin fight again. It sure was one heck of a fight to watch! I still can't forget that day..." The man paused his ramblings, before he could continue on for another hour and neglect his store. "But personally, I feel like you fight a lot better than him. Don't tell him I said that, though."

Name laughed at his words, nodding along as their cheeks glowed from the praise. There was nothing better than having their ego fed, after all. This man just fed their stomach and their ego, Name felt like they've just found their new favorite person in Inazuma. However, their attention was piqued when they heard of a familiar name, tilting their head to signal him to continue.

"Doushin...Shikanoin...?"

The stall owner nodded with excitement, as if he was a teenage fan of the young man. "The best detective in Inazuma, that's who he is. He has burgundy hair with a black highlight, a mole below each of his light olive green eyes. That man has both brains and brawn, and I must say he's quite the extraordinary bachelor!"

Name nodded, their energy matching the older man. "I see! I see!"

"Come to think of it, you two seemed like the same age. Do you want me to introduce you to him? My cousin works with him, the both of you would definitely make a strong cou-"

Name's loud chuckle cut him off, their hands waving him off before moving to cradle their face in a shy state. "Do you really think so?" They giggled, acting like a young teenager in love. The man matched their smile, nodding with a thumbs up. "Of course! Actually, wait, you haven't answered my question yet-"

Before Name could even open their mouth, loud footsteps could be heard from the other side of the road. Their eyes turned cold for a fraction of a second, before it turned playful once more when it moved back to look at the older man.

"Oh, it seems like I gotta go. Here you go, my answer to your question, sir!"

Name winked, placing a piece of folded paper in the palm of his hands. Their body turned around to run and they shouted at him, before their figure completely disappeared in the dark.

"Thanks for everything, old man!"

The old stall owner shook his head at the calling, feeling a bit disappointed that his new companion had run away so quickly. It felt nice to talk with a youngster, it reminded him of his younger kid. He looked down to inspect the crumbled paper, slowly opening it before dropping the paper with a gasp of disbelief.

"...N-Name..."

"...As in the criminal, Name?!"

As if on cue, he could hear their mischievous laughter in the air, and a small 'The one and only!'. He looked around frantically to search for the source of the voice, but was met with darkness. His legs quivered in fear before he fell onto the floor, hands moving to grip his head. The paper skimmed across the surface, revealing a portrait of Name with a charming grin, as well as the words 'MOST WANTED'. It was more than enough for him to remember the news of a terrifying recently found criminal, wandering and loitering around the lands of Teyvat with no clear purpose. Although new, they've already made a name for themselves, and it was none other than the one that fitted them the most - "The number one criminal in Teyvat.".

"I can't believe...I just talked to the number one criminal in Teyvat like that..."

He huffed, voice shaking slightly. Soon, the man calmed down and looked up, gazing at the stars above. His thoughts moved to their lively attitude, wondering how a person whose name could cause even the strongest to quiver in fear to be so childish and kind.

'A person so allegedly cruel...is so unexpectedly kind. Were the rumors exaggerated...?' He wondered, but reminded himself of their cold expression and deadly fighting style. Before he could even continue, his eyes widened at a realization, his ears turning red in embarrassment.

'I can't believe I just tried to set up a criminal with a detective who's been trying to catch them for months...!'

━━▲━━

Written on: 3 may 2023.

(1081 words)