Heading back to Brooklyn

"Mama!!"

Luigi looked up as little Bowser Jr. came running into the bedroom where the Mario brother was packing a suitcase. He sighed softly and gently scooped up the little turtle dragon as he ran into the green plumber's arms. He held Junior close before gently rubbing Junior's eyes that had obvious tears.

"What's wrong, Junior?" He asked softly, gently sitting down on the big Cali King sized bed that he shared with Bowser. Junior nuzzled his face against Luigi's neck and shoulder. "I don't want you to go!" Junior cried against Luigi's shirt. Luigi smiled softly and relaxed a bit. "Junior, I'm not going to be gone forever," he tried to explain.

He rocked Junior in his arms to try and calm the little prince down. As the two sat together, Bowser came down from the hall and into the room. "Junior, there you are-!" Luigi turned to him and gently shushed him. Bowser hummed softly and entered the room, going and sitting next to Luigi and Junior. Luigi gently nuzzled Junior as the little turtle dragon held onto him more. Bowser looked to Luigi. "He doesn't want you to go, I'm assuming.." he rubbed the back of his neck.

Luigi gave him a sad smile and nodded. "I won't be gone forever, Mario and I have said we'd only be gone for a week and a half," he explained. Bowser nodded and gently wrapped his arm around Luigi, pulling him close. Luigi nuzzled close into Bowser's warmth. There was silence as Junior was able to calm down. "I know you're also worried about me going back to Brooklyn.." Luigi said softly as he leaned against Bowser.

The Koopa King tried not to growl at the thought of Luigi leaving. Things had been different when Bowser and Luigi had started their relationship. Luigi was a big help around the castle and big influence on Junior. Bowser had been able to focus on things for the kingdom for the better. His army was better maintained, his people were happy, and he was even doing decent trade with the Mushroom Kingdom. He knew that things wouldn't completely fall apart from Luigi leaving, but things would definitely be a bit more difficult.

"I'll have Polterpup and Mario with me. And it's my family. They'll make sure nothing bad happens to me," Luigi said softly, looking up at Bowser. The Koopa King took a breath and sighed softly, leaning down and nuzzling against Luigi's forehead. "It's not that I don't trust your family, Lu," he said, "I just, things have been so much easier with your help around here and I-!"

Luigi stood up with Junior in his arms and gently cupped Bowser's cheek. "Everything will be alright, amore," he said softly, "it's just a week and a half. I'll be back before you even know it." Bowser nuzzled his hand against Luigi's hand before moving to kiss the Mario brother's palm. Luigi smiled and gently fixed his hold on Junior who had now fallen asleep against him. "Here, I'll put Junior to bed and then you can come with me to see me and Mario off. Would that make you feel better?"

Bowser seemed to purr slightly before nodding. "Yes, that would make me feel better," he answered. Luigi chuckled softly, "Cosa farò con te, sciocco." Bowser purred more and blushed. "You know what happens to me when you speak Italian, Lu." Luigi smirked cheekily, "I know." He moved away from Bowser, carrying Junior towards the little Prince's bedroom.

Once they got there, Luigi was just setting Junior into his bed when the little Prince woke up. Junior frowned up at the green plumber. "You're leaving..." he mumbled. Luigi smiled sadly at him, starting to run his fingers against Junior's hair. "Yes, quello piccolo, I'm leaving. But I promise I'll be back after week and a half." "And how long is that?" Junior sat up, causing his blanket to fall off of him.

Luigi thought for a moment. "8-10 sleeps," he said, reminding himself of how his mom would explain time for him and Mario when they were Junior's age. Especially during holidays like Christmas and birthdays. Junior pouted and crossed his arms. "That's too long!" Luigi thought for another moment before he thought of an idea.

"How about I give you a special assignment," he said. Junior looked to him, curious, "an assignment? Just for me?!" Luigi chuckled softly as he gently shushed the little Koopa from being too loud, "yes, just for you. You need to promise me that you'll do this to the best of your ability for when I get back." Junior gave Luigi a cute little salute.

Luigi smiled fondly, "Your assignment is to be a big boy and help Papa with the castle while I'm gone. It's a big task but I trust you can do it. Will you do that for me?" He nuzzled Junior's nose, causing the little Koopa to giggle. He nodded excitedly, "yes! Yes, I can do that, Mama!" Luigi smiled proudly and kissed Junior's forehead.

"That's my brave little prince," he said, tucking Junior in again, "now it's time for you to sleep. And when you wake up, you'll start your assignment. Okay?" Junior nodded as he snuggled into his pillows and blankets, "okay, mama." Luigi nodded and gently kissed Junior's forehead once more.

"Buona notte, piccolo principe," Luigi said softly before he left Junior's room, closing the door behind him. He took a breath and sighed softly as he stood on the other end of the door. He was worried about Junior making it through the week, but he was sure it was going to be okay. After taking another minute to collect himself, he went back to the master bedroom to finish packing. He didn't want to keep Mario waiting on him any longer then he had to.

Later that night, the Mario brothers were standing in front of the pipe that was to take them back to their world. After saving Brooklyn the first time, the town thanked the brothers by repairing the gateway. This made it easier for the pair to go back and forth between the Mushroom world and the human world. It was such a relief off their mother's heart, let them tell you. The two turned back to their escorts, Bowser and two Koopas, as well as Peach, Toad, and Toadsworth.

Peach went over and hugged them close. "Be sure to call as soon as you two get safely to your parents' place, alright?" "Of course, Peach," Mario answered, taking Peach's hand and kissing it softly. Luigi gave a firm tip of his hat before turning to Bowser. He went over and hugged the Koopa King tightly. "You sure you'll be okay?" The two of them asked together, causing both to laugh. Luigi gave Bowser's hand a squeeze. "I'm sure, amore."

The brothers moved away and headed back into the pipe, saying goodbye with little salutes before the familiar—swoosh!— of the pipe sent them back to Brooklyn. Within minutes, the brothers landed in the Brooklyn underground with their items. Luigi looked behind him to see if Polterpup had followed them. He raised his eyebrow when a little doxie pup came hopping out of the pipe. Luigi and Mario raised a brow to the little pup. "Polterpup..?" Luigi asked, bending down close to it.

The little pup yipped happily and pounced in a circle, wagging its tail excitedly

The little pup yipped happily and pounced in a circle, wagging its tail excitedly. Luigi and Mario smiled happily. "Looks like Polterpup is only a ghost in the Mushroom world," Mario said, gently rubbing Polterpup's head. He picked up the pup and noticed the little dog was female. "Huh," he said. Luigi looked to him, "what?" Mario handed Polterpup back to Luigi. "Never thought Polterpup was-a girl."

Luigi smiled and chuckled as Polterpup licked his face. "We can call her Poppy while at mom and dad's." Polterpup wagged her tail at the new name. Mario smiled fondly, "Poppy it is then. Come on, Weegie, mom is probably expecting us." Luigi nodded and held Poppy in his arms as he and Mario made their way up to the Brooklyn city street level. They couldn't wait to see their family again after being away for so long.