Casa de Mario

Mario and Luigi smiled softly as they managed to get their way out of the pipe systems and up to the Brooklyn street level. They exited through the subway station and made their way down the street in the direction of their parent's apartment. As they made their way down the block, Luigi had to cover his eyes once or twice to get used to the sunlight. The two had forgotten how much time differed from the Mushroom world.

"Not used to how bright stuff is anymore, Lu?" Mario teased softly as he dug into his backpack and pulled out a pair of sunglasses for him. Luigi chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck as he took the sunglasses, putting them on. "I guess living in the Dark Lands does that to you." The brothers chuckled and continued their way down the block. They stopped at an intersection as a car pulled up to them and honked at them. The brothers looked as the window rolled down, a familiar face in red looked back at them.

"Pauline?" Mario smiled happily; Luigi sent her a friendly wave.

"Well if it isn't the infamous Mario Brothers! You two want a ride?" Pauline smiled at the two, having not seen them for some time after the brothers moved to the Mushroom world full time. Mario shared a look with Luigi, sharing a silent conversation before Luigi gestured towards Pauline's car. Mario nodded and turned back to Pauline. "Yes, please!"

The brothers got into Pauline's car and relaxed as the light turned green. "So what brings you two back to Brooklyn?" Pauline asked as she started driving off. "We're here for the town festival and for our Uncle Tony's wedding," Mario answered. Pauline smiled, "Oh yea? I figured you two would come out for that. Your mom has been gushing about your return for weeks after sending off your guys' invite."

"That sounds like mama," Luigi chuckled softly, fixing his hold on Polterpup, "were you invited?" Pauline nodded. "The Bride, Inés, used to be my tutor growing up. I think she's the same age as your uncle, if not younger." The brothers nodded. "Have you two met Inés?"

"Besides several pictures sent by Mama, I don't believe we properly met her," Luigi said. Mario nodded in agreement. The rest of the ride was semi-quiet, with Mario and Pauline talking mostly about the Mushroom world and what had been going on the last few years or so. Luigi was grateful that he and Mario were able to befriend Pauline after saving Brooklyn. It definitely had perks to being friends with the city's most brilliant news anchor.

"Well here's your stop, boys," Pauline said as she pulled up in front of a familiar townhouse, "Casa de Mario." The boys smiled and thanked Pauline as they grabbed their things, heading up to the townhouse. Mario knocked on the door, only for a tall brunette to answer the door. She was about 5'11, just shy of their Uncle Tony's height of 6'1. She had deep green eyes and rosewood colored hair. She had a bought an air of haughtiness that neither of the brothers liked.

"Oh! And who are you two?" She asked, her voice reminding Luigi of those preppy girls from high school. She sported a tennis type outfit with a yellow crop and white shorts. Her engagement ring was simple; but the boys knew their uncle. If he could afford it, no expense would be spared—despite a car mechanic's salary. "We're—!"

"Are those my boys?!"

Mario and Luigi looked behind the woman in front of them and smiled happily when they saw their mother coming down the stairs from inside. "Oh let them in, Inés! They're here for the wedding," She said as she got Inés to move out of the way, pulling the boys inside. Polterpup followed close behind, slipping inside before Inés could close the door on her.

"Oh ragazzi miei!" Their mother cried happily as she hugged them close. She turned towards an inner part of the house, "Marco! Mario e Luigi sono qui! Vieni a salurarti!" "In un minuto, Louise! Questo pollo ala parmigiana non si cuocerà da solo, sai!" Marco could be heard from what the brothers could assume was the kitchen. Mario chuckled softly as he got their mom to let go of them. "It's okay, mom," He said, "It's good to see everyone again."

Poppy finally made herself known to Louise, going in front of Luigi and yipping up at her. Louise gasped, her eyes sparkling at the sight of the little doxie. "Oh she's so cute! Is she yours, Luigi?" Luigi blushed and nodded, "I found her in the woods one day on a walk. She followed me home and didn't seem to want to leave my side." He didn't have the heart to tell his mother that Poppy was actually a ghost dog. There was a lot of things the boys had to leave out when talking about the Mushroom World.

"Well she is just adorable, son!" Louise knelt down and held her hands out to Poppy. Poppy moved forward and gently sniffed at Louise's hand before hopping into her arms, causing mama Mario to giggle happily.

Luigi smiled softly at his mom, rubbing the back of his neck as he felt Inés' eyes on him. He glanced back at her and tried to not be perturbed under her gaze. Luckily, the tension was broken by Louise taking Polterpup further into the house, causing the brothers to follow. As they walked, Inés watched as Luigi removed his gloves, revealing a wedding ring on his left hand. It was a diamond ring in the shape of a rose. A black band that was decorated with many little diamonds and two rubies on either side. The center piece was the rose—a centered diamond surrounded by four tiny onyx stones and nine ruby petals.

Inés was quite the coveting woman. Her family was a mysterious type, running in some of New York's more hidden circles. Her mother had wealthier roots, only having been somewhat removed when she married Inés' father. Inés never fully considered she'd ever marry some with a blue collar salary, but there wasn't much choices she could make when her older sister got the lion's share of husbands. So it was suspicious to her that one of the Mario brothers, known plumbers, could go around supporting such a luxurious tiered ring.

"Well if it isn't my boys!" Marco Mario's voice cut through the air as the group made it into the kitchen. "Dad!" The boys set their stuff down and hugged their father close, getting a hearty laugh from the old man. "It's good to have you boys home for the festivities this week. You can imagine how much the wedding plans have been making your Ma hysterical." Marco ducked his head as Louise almost hit him. Louise finally set Poppy down and turned to the boys.

"Dinner will be ready soon, you two take your bags to the guest room and wash up," She shooed them out of the kitchen and down the hall, "vai, vai!" "Okay, Okay!" Luigi answered as he started for the guest room with Mario, the older Mario brother answering with: "We're going, Ma! We're going!"