Dinner Time Tensions

Dinner at the Mario house was like dinner during the holidays; at least, when everyone could get together. Luigi helped set the table with his mom, allowing the two to talk about things while Mario helped Marco in the kitchen. "So, how are things back home?" Louise asked, setting the salad down on the table as Luigi placed out all the plates. "Hm? Oh! Very well!" Luigi answered, "Trade has been going well between the Koopa and Mushroom Kingdoms. Bowser's been doing better in meetings and I've been helping Junior a lot with his studies."

Louise smiled proudly at her son, happy that he had finally found his place. "And Mario? Has he made any more moves with Peach recently?" Luigi chuckled softly and shook his head, "They're still very much in the 'will-they-won't-they'." Louise held her hand to her face, "Oh mio. What am I going to do with him?" Luigi went over after setting down the last bit of silverware, gently hugging his mom close. "It's going to be okay, Ma," He answered, "Let's focus on the wedding and the festival before we start pestering Mario about his love life."

Louise giggled softly and smiled as she nodded. She finished setting up the chairs and Luigi noticed that there was an extra. "Are Uncle Arthur and Aunt Marie coming?" He asked. Louise shook her head, "Inés said something about her cousin coming. Something about him coming for the wedding in place of her aunt, non lo so." Luigi nodded, rubbing the back of his neck from sudden nerves. He was only brought out of his thoughts when Poppy gently tugged at his pants with her teeth.

"Oh! Your father should have some food for her in the kitchen if you want to go feed her, miele," Louise said as she noticed Poppy's restlessness. Luigi nodded and thanked her as he picked Poppy up, carrying her to the kitchen. He smiled as he heard Mario and their dad talking and laughing. He missed these days with his family. They were few and far between since the brothers had been so busy in the Mushroom world.

"Ehi, Papà?" Luigi spoke up, causing Marco to look back at him.

"Sì, figliolo?"

"Do you have anything Poppy can eat? I forgot to bring some extra food for her," Luigi hated lying to his folks like this, even if he had told his parents about the Mushroom World before; but it wasn't everyday he brought a ghost dog to the real world and he didn't know who else could've been listening. Marco looked to Mario who whispered something into his ear. He hummed softly, rubbing his chin before going to the fridge, digging around before pulling out some ground beef and a small fillet of tuna.

"Will these work?" Marco handed Luigi the items. Luigi smiled and nodded before he went and prepared a small bowl for Poppy to have while everyone else had dinner. As Luigi was focusing on Poppy, the faint sound of the front door could be heard throughout the house. Mario and Luigi shared a look as everyone seemed to freeze.

"I still don't see why she sent you, Orlando," Inés seemed to say to someone, only to get a reply—, "I don't question my mother's methods, Inés. Neither should you."

Luigi swallowed, suddenly feeling nervous for the second time that night. He quickly finished making Poppy her dinner, setting the little bowl on the floor. Marco went to go see what was going on, leaving Mario and Luigi in the kitchen. Mario went over and gently turned Luigi around, taking him into his arms.

"You're tense, fratello," Mario said softly as he tried to calm Luigi down. Luigi took a breath before he rubbed his face. "Sorry, I just.. I have a bad feeling about Inés.." Mario couldn't deny that he felt the same. He sighed softly and gave Luigi a tight hug. "It's going to be okay, Lou. We can go home as soon as the festival is over, I promise." Luigi nodded, hugging Mario back just as tightly.

"Boys!" Louise called from the dining room, "Come meet Orlando!"

Mario and Luigi shared a look to each other before leaving the kitchen. The two went into the dinning room, both stopping in the entry way at the sight of a man—just in his early 30's—with silver-blue eyes, brunette hair, and a sharp build. He was dressed in a deep navy turtle neck and matching casual blazer with gray trousers, finishing the ensemble with black dress shoes. The brothers held different reactions. Luigi did his best to keep himself from blushing and turning into a tomato while Mario got that same bad feeling he had when first meeting Inés.