25. Unexpected

The striking noise was blaring in her ears like a vociferous motor, pelting the stagnant silence in her serene bedroom, awakening her from a peaceful sleep that Hanni hadn't experienced in months

The striking noise was blaring in her ears like a vociferous motor, pelting the stagnant silence in her serene bedroom, awakening her from a peaceful sleep that Hanni hadn't experienced in months. She grumbled in vexation, hoping that out of the six people in the apartment, someone would tend to the piercing knocking on the front door.

She rolled over onto her back, rubbing her eyes to give her a better comprehension of how her night ended.

She remembered talking to Jeongguk, but that's all she remembered. She couldn't remember ever falling asleep, or him ever leaving her bedroom.

She quickly scanned her room to make sure he didn't fall asleep on her floor.

He didn't.

Her room was empty of anyone else.

Hanni was relieved, sighing as her back struck the mattress below her, her bed slightly creaking from the sudden pressure.

She closed her eyes, trying to reimagine the conversations she had with Jeongguk, and how long they talked before they decided to go to bed, or at least up until she fell asleep in the middle of their conversation.

It wasn't quite clear, but she could almost remember a point in their conversation where he commented on her appearance — calling her pretty.

A wide smile adhered to her lips, cheeks pigmented in a deep red like sweet wine had been spilled over white silk sheets.

There was even talk about destiny and fate if she recalled correctly.

Why couldn't she remember more? They talked up until two in the morning that night, there was more to their conversation than she could even remember.

Her eyes squeezed, trying to retrieve more from the previous night. Important details that were stored in her brain that she knew were there, she just had to find them.

Her eyes fluttered open when the image of the two of them laying down beside each other popped into her head. Each of them was laying on their sides, their bodies facing each other as they continued with their random conversations regarding their past life and future wishes.

She chuckled in pure chagrin when she remembered that she ran her fingers through his soft curls, informing him that she invariably thought about doing it whenever she saw him, and his hair.

It did not disappoint. His hair felt exactly the way she envisioned it would. Smooth and slick like shea butter. Not one of them knotted together.

It hadn't occurred to her that the knocking stopped until it started up again. This time, it was much more impatient, hasty as it turned into more of a bang than a diplomatic knock. It was five pounds at a time, with a ten-second intermission between the obnoxious knocks.

Hanni grumbled deeply, immediately getting up from the bed as she lamented to herself under her breath.

How is it that neither of them ever got up and answered the door?