Matt Taven

"I could listen to him talk all day," I mumbled as the promo package for Matt and Vinny's rivalry faded off the screen, Mike and Maria both turning to look at me with matching grins. "I swear, you are obsessed with him. Just tell him already, Echo," Mike laughed. "I like not being absolutely mortified, thank you." I shot back, leaning back onto the couch and jumping as my phone suddenly started chiming continuously. "What the fuck" I wondered loudly, pushing up to my feet and digging the device out of my bag, seeing 17 text messages from the man we had just been speaking about. "What was that about?" Maria questioned both her and Mike, just as confused as I was. "17 messages, all from Matt." I shrugged, unlocking the device and pulling up the app to see 17 lengthy text messages from the man. "Jesus Christ, okay. This is going to take me a minute," I mumbled, sitting down and starting with the first one, eyes moving quickly as I read the words, "You've called him 73 times in four days?" I questioned, looking over at Mike, who started to blush.

"I was worried." he shrugged, accepting the hug his wife offered him as I returned to reading. "He said he's going home. Meeting Vinny where it all started." I sighed, hitting the end of the messages, the words 'Please, I need you' bouncing around in my head as I stuffed the device into my pocket. "Well, we need to get to Massachusetts then? We should be able to get onto a flight in the next couple of hours; that gets us," Mike started rattling off, slowing down as neither Maria nor I moved. "We," he paused. "We aren't going, are we?" he asked quietly, looking to his wife, who slowly shook her head no. "I'm sorry baby. You have matches scheduled; I have everything going on with the Board of Directors," she explained, offering the man another hug. "I'll go," I stated, knowing it wasn't exactly what Mike wanted, but it was better than nothing. "I can get you on a flight in an hour and a half," Maria stated, looking up from her phone at me, an uneasiness settling over the room. "Don't let me down, Echo; you make sure my boy is safe," Mike stated, making tension settle between my shoulder blades. "Wow, no pressure, Mike," I sighed, getting to my feet and packing up my bags so I could get to the airport and get to Massachusetts. 

I was exhausted, to say the least, the flight being long and uncomfortable, the hour-and-a-half layover not helping in the least, but I was finally making my way through the airport, trying to get a hold of Matt with no luck. "17 novel-length text messages, but could you pick up your phone when I call? No." I grumbled to myself, absolutely exhausted and wanting to sleep, but knowing I now had to figure out the puzzle of where the hell he wanted me to go. Walking across the street to the Starbucks, I ordered a large coffee with extra espresso, knowing it would be my fuel for the rest of the day, and sat down and pulled up my teammate's messages to figure out where to go. The spot I kept going back to was 'Where it all started for Vinny and me,' the words standing out that they should mean something. Pressing call, hoping that Mike would answer *echo, what time is it* his voice mumbled on the other end of the phone, making me feel bad that I had woken him up, but he's one of the only people who would know what this meant. *For me, it's almost 11 AM; for you, it's about 7 AM* I informed him *Matt said to meet him where it all started for him and Vinny. I have no idea where that could be, and it's radio silence from him again* I groaned quietly, running a hand through my hair in frustration. * Where it started for him and Vinny?* he repeated, almost questioning it *That's what it says* I sighed, scrolling through the messages again, hoping for another clue *hold on, I'm not the smart one, why'd you call me* he grumbled the words making me laugh quietly * Mar, wake up babe* he sounded a muffled Maria sounding in the background *Matt told her to meet him where it all started for him and Vinny, any guesses* he questioned *What the hell does that mean* the mother of two questioned *wait, wait, wait. Here, Vinny did an interview a while ago. Said they both had their first wrestling match at the Police Athletic League building in Fall River* Maria answered *That's only about an hour from Boston Echo; you can make it there by noon if you leave now* Mike informed, hope in his voice again. *Leaving now. I'll let you know what happens* I assured hitting end on the phone and heading back out to the street to get an Uber.