Part 3: Rescue Dive

The next morning, Jay drove to the District and walked up to the Intelligence Unit.

"Halstead, what are you doing here? I told you we'd call if we needed you." Hank said to him.

"What are you gonna do? Kick me out? Kiera had something to do today and I didn't feel like sitting at home doing nothing." Jay said, then leaned against the side of his desk.

"How's she doing?" Hailey asked, handing him a cup of coffee.

"Surprisingly, she's doing pretty well despite the whole abuse from her stepfather. We really hit it off." Jay said as he accepted the coffee mug.

"Probably because she knows she's in good hands now." Kim pointed out.

"Yeah. I learned a lot about that kid in a short amount of time." Jay answered, then took a sip of coffee.

"Did she say anything else to you about Shane?" Adam asked.

"She told me about what happened to her biological father, then how Michelle met Shane, and when the abuse started." Jay explained.

"You said that Kiera was doing something today, what was it?" Hank asked, changing the subject.

"She had to attend a class today because she's in the process of becoming scuba certified." Jay said.

"No way! Really?" Kevin exclaimed.

"A girl like her, scuba diving?" Vanessa questioned.

"You know, that ain't a bad idea." Hank pointed out.

"What are you talking about, Sarge?" Antonio asked.

"Having a rescue dive team in the District. We could get a case where someone is trapped underwater or was last seen near a watery area." Hank said.

Everyone just looked at each other, pondering his idea. But, they had nothing to say.

"Hopefully, we'll never get a case like that to need such a team." Adam said, breaking the silence.

"All right. Let's get back to it." Hank instructed.

~~~~~~~~~

It's now 11:30am and a woman is driving on the road by Kosher Lake. Another driver on the opposite side of the road swerved around the corner. The swerve was so sharp that it hit the woman's car and knocked it off the road. It landed in the lake and water slowly filled the car. There was no way for the driver to get out on her own, but there's a pocket of air at the ceiling.

Five minutes later, a local fisherman came down to the lake and saw something strange in the water. He drove his boat over to it to see that it was a car with a person trapped inside. He doesn't hesitate to call 911.

Jay heard his text tone go off and pulled his phone out of his pocket. It was a message from Kiera. She had sent him a picture of her holding her scuba certification card and said: "it's official 🤿🪸" Jay smiled at the message and texted back "Congratulations!"

Then, Trudy walks into the Intelligence Unit and got everyone's attention.

"Guys! We just received a call from a fisherman down at Kosher Lake. He says there's a car submerged with the driver trapped inside." she explained.

"But, none of us are specialized for that type of rescue." Kim pointed out.

"I know someone." Jay said, then stood up from his desk and started to walk away.

"What are you going?" Hailey asked him.

"Just head down to the lake. I'll be there as soon as I can." Jay instructed.