12.

vol i
chapter twelve

The death of the boy from District 12 had been shocking to the Capitol. Emotionally, many were distraught, especially after seeing their beloved genius from District 3 so distressed. It had been a long time since two tributes had bonded so warmly in such a short period of time.

It was enough to shockingly cause disdain and the upmost sympathy for the young tributes of the games. The moment was too humanising—something that the game makers were sure to pay for.

Rafael had been bombarded. It was sickening how so many of the elite had offered sponsorship after the display. He knew Theia would have felt the same had she known what was occurring behind the cameras.

A shift had begun. He saw it in Ambrose, who, for the first time, had started to see the real reality of the games, his illusion of what it once was slowly slipping away. Inconsolable, Rafael could not get the man to move away from the screen.

A pat on the shoulder takes his attention away. Haymitch. He can see in his friend's eyes that he felt the loss strongly. He always did with the younger tributes.
"You were right about her; there's something different." He sits next to Rafael. "She protected the boy."

"I warned her. Told her she had too good of a heart." Rafael can feel his own hurt at what the girl has been through.

Haymitch sighs, saying, "She's better than the rest of us."

He can't help but agree. "She is."

~

Theia is unable to find any peace. Milo's screams are circulating in her mind, taunting her. She knows his death will be forever ingrained in her.

She cannot help but feel overwhelming guilt. If she had been the one to lure them both, would it have ended differently? If she had forced Milo to stay in the tree despite his refusal, would he still be here?
Sleep is not something that will come easily to her; she's sure of that. Perhaps it won't for a while. But maybe that was deserved.

A familiar twinkling sound pulls Theia out of her tortuous thoughts. She watches as the silver parachute glides down. She had not expected another sponsor gift, especially not now.

Grasping the plastic pot, she unscrews the lid. She pulls a thermos out, and she's pleasantly surprised to see some soup. Hunger taking over, she eats half before closing it again.

Looking back into the pot, a grin spreads across her face. There are five bite-sized, square-shaped rolls. A taste of home. Had Rafael sent this as comfort? Had he known how she was feeling?

Had her family seen? Her friends? She grabs her pendant tightly. Did they think differently of her after she had taken that boy's life? She was sure that his family would. He would have had people waiting for him to return.
Just like Milo's family...

The world works in mysterious ways, and perhaps in that moment, it knew she needed some reasurrence.

A recognisable buzzing sound fills her ears, and she can't quite believe that she's heard it. Looking up, she's met with a familiar glow she's seen so often. Fireflies.
Tears threaten to fall again. She stands, simply basking in their existence.

Her foot moves and kicks the pot. A white slip falls, and she grabs it. Unravelling the paper, she reads the words: Make them regret it - R.

~

When light emerges, Theia is filled with a newfound, unrelenting sense of determination. She would avenge Milo, and that started with finding the boy from District 10.