02.

vol ii
chapter two

Theia has barely had a moment to herself since she returned. Though it's something she is innately glad for.

If her brother and father weren't around, then Imari or Zain ought to be. Their reunion was an emotional one, and the twins were relieved beyond belief that their best friend had returned safely. Their good humour had a positive effect on Theia; the two mischievous siblings gave her much-needed joy and endless laughs. It was enough to ease the pain sometimes and reduce the hollow feeling in her chest.

Theia had never hated having a photographic memory more. Her mind was constantly plagued with all-too-real images, agonisingly tormenting her with every detail of the games. She never got much rest, often awakening at night, screaming and shaking, believing that she was back in the arena. She had thought that time would have healed her, but it made no difference; the nightmares continued on.

She had chosen to live in the village so as not to plague her family with her screams. Theia had lied, of course, reassuring her father that she had been improving, and he accepted her decision to move away from the secluded factory.
They had dealt with enough. She did not want to restrict them from resting just so they could wake at a moment's notice to help her.

Her circle had even expanded further since she returned. Rafael was her direct neighbour and perhaps the only person who could remotely comfort her when it came to the incessant night terrors. Her old mentor continued to be a reassuring presence in her life. He often knew what to say to her when no one else did; he could relate to what she was going through, after all.
Unnervingly, he had become quite close friends with her father, the two of them becoming quite the duo, breathing down her neck constantly. As much as she joked about the annoyance they caused, she deeply appreciated both of them.

She saw Beetee often; she'd work on projects with him. The man would come up with a new invention and come running across the path to the girl for her input. Much like her, his mind never seemed to stop, with ideas always circulating.
Theia had also met the remaining Victor of District 3. Though there were now a total of five winners, only four still lived, the first having passed long ago.
Wiress—as she was so understandably named—was a kind soul who welcomed Theia to the village immediately. The woman seemed to be an almost exact copy of Beetee and his personality, and Theia rarely saw one without the other.

Beetee had been the woman's mentor, and they seemed to have an unrivalled bond. It's clear that Wiress has been the most clearly affected by the games; her mental state is the least stable of them all. Any mention of the competition would have the women spiralling and babbling incoherent words. It was better to keep her occupied with electronics, something that Theia had taken to doing by sitting with her and helping her work.
Truthfully, Beetee was glad that Wiress had another companion who could understand her.

~

Victors of the games were meant to stay isolated from the general population of their district, but that was something that Theia was not willing to do.

She had quickly returned to her old ways, offering to teach the younger children and aiding struggling families with tasks. Though what had considerably changed was the level of recognition she received; she had been relatively well known before the games due to her family, but now everyone knew who she was, and it was a strange feeling.

The majority of those with whom she interacted were incredibly thankful and praiseful, stating how she had improved their lives tremendously. Theia was always gracious in return, reluctant to accept the compliments. The girl was frustratingly humble, donating nearly all of her monthly income to those in need while refusing any thanks for her actions. It was what was right. What was needed.