one

Coming home, Cosette didn't realize at first time she would see her friends would be at the Lockwood's as the town mourned the loss of their mayor. As soon as she had finished unpacking, her mother had delivered the news that the mayor had perished in a tragic fire, and everyone in town was going over the Lockwood's that day to pay their respects.

The young girl was immediately hit with both surprise and sadness for the loss. She, along with her friends, knew that Mayor Lockwood was a dick, but it was still terrible that he had died. She just couldn't imagine how Tyler Lockwood was feeling. Everyone knew that the boy and his father weren't very close in the slightest, but he had still just lost his father. He may not have liked the man, but he must have loved him in some way.

Cosette's mother went ahead and left to visit the Lockwood's so she could try to comfort her best friend, Carol Lockwood, while she left her daughter to change out of her baggy clothes from flying for several hours. Since her mother had left her, Cosette was forced to arrive alone.

The first person she saw upon arrival was Tyler Lockwood. Although they weren't very close, she stilled considered him as her friend, and she immediately pulled him into a hug, surprising him. "Tyler, I know you've probably heard this a million times today, I am so sorry."

He stood silently for a few moments, shocked at the girl's presence. Not really wanting to focus on the fact that he had just lost his father, Tyler decided to focus on the fact that Cosette had finally come home. "Cosette, what are you doing back? I thought you were off at some fancy school in Europe."

"I was," she smiled, pushing her dark hair behind her ear. "I guess I just thought it was time to come home."

"Everyone is going to be so happy to see you," Tyler grinned. His smile faltered slightly as his eyes focused on something behind Cosette.

She turned to see what he was looking at, and he eyes widened slightly when she noticed a familiar face walking towards them. "Is that-"

"Yeah," Tyler nodded as his uncle Mason made his way over.

Not knowing how the encounter was going to go, she decided to slip away and find her other friends. After walking around for a few minutes, Cosette's eyes brightened as they landed on a familiar brunette. Grinning, she snuck up behind her and hugged her from behind.

Elena jumped in surprise before turning around and grabbing Cosette's arm with a deadly grip. As soon as she realized who it was, she dropped it, her alert expression turning into a small smirk. "Cosette Sinclair, it has been too long."

"I agree," she nodded. Frowning, she took a piece of Elena's hair in her fingers and twirled it. "You curled your hair."

"I thought it was time for a change," she replied smoothly.

"I love it. I always told you that I thought you looked better with curls. I'm glad that after over a year of me being gone, you've finally taken my advice," Cosette laughed.

Elena's smirk grew at her words. "I'm glad you're back."

"Me too," the Sinclair girl grinned. It was then she noticed a guy walking towards them rather quickly, his eyes focused on Elena. "Why is there a guy coming at you and looking at you how I look at vegetables?"

"That would be Stefan Salvatore," she sighed. "He's my boyfriend."

"Then why do you look so upset that he's coming over here? Lovers' quarrel?" Cosette asked.

"You could say that. He's mad at me right now," Elena frowned. Stefan finally reached the girls, glaring at his so called 'girlfriend'. She smiled at him before glancing at the girl beside her. "Hello, Stefan. My best friend Cosette here wants to know why you're mad at me."

Stefan frowned and seemed as if he hadn't even noticed the other girl. As soon as he actually looked at her, his lips parted in shock. "Cosette?"

"Elena must have mentioned me then," she beamed. "Don't I feel special!"

"How-" he started.

"As much as I'd love to stay here and chat, there's Bonnie. I haven't talked to her yet, so I'll just leave you two lovebirds," she stated. As he walked past Stefan, she leaned over to whisper, "If you hurt her, I will rip your heart out and shove it down your throat."

Too in shock to respond, Stefan just watched her with wide eyes as she gave Elena a parting smile and made her ways towards Bonnie who greeted her with a smile and a hug.

"Oh my god! You're back!" Bonnie said as she pulled away from Cosette. "How are you even here?"

She let out a small laugh. "Well, Bonnie, there's this thing called airplane and-"

"Oh shut up," Bonnie cut her off, lightly slapping her shoulder. "Are you back for good?"

"You know it," Cosette smirked. "I was tired of all of those English guys being all over me. Having several men fawning all over you gets boring after a while."

"I bet," Bonnie nodded. Both girls looked at each other before they started laughing.

"Hey, have you seen Caroline around here anywhere?" Cosette asked after the laughter died down. "I haven't seen her anywhere, and you know she'll kill me if I don't tell her I'm back."

Bonnie's smile faded at her question. "She couldn't come."

"What? Why not?" she questioned, confused at her friend's change in mood.

"There as an accident. Caroline's in the hospital," before Cosette could respond, Bonnie continued. "She's doing better. She should be home soon."

"Oh my god," she gasped. "After I say hey to Matt, I'll go see her."

The Bennett girl nodded and left Cosette to find Matt. It only took a few minutes to locate him, and she headed in his direction. Like everyone else, Matt was pleasantly surprised that she had returned to town. The two spent a couple of minutes talking before she excused herself so she could go see Caroline.

On her way out, Cosette bumped into Elena again. Too focused on going to see Caroine, she failed to notice Elena's surprised expression, that her hair was no longer curly, and she was wearing a completely different outfit.

"Elena, you didn't tell me Caroline was in the freaking hospital!" she scolded. "I know you were probably caught up with the problem with your boyfriend, but you could've told me about Caroline being in the hospital. Hospital always overrides boy trouble." Elena went to speak, but Cosette cut her off. "Anyway, I would love to stay and catch up, but I'm gonna go see Caroline."

Maybe if she would have been paying closer attention, or any attention at all, Cosette would have been able to tell that she was talking to an entirely different person. Maybe she would have known then that something was different in Mystic Falls. Maybe if she had noticed what was going on around her she would be a little more prepared to discover all of the secrets of her town that her friends were keeping her away from.

Maybe.

________________

So here's this.