two

Cosette had just gotten home from visiting Caroline in the hospital and was a bit exhausted. After saying a goodnight to her mother, she went up to her room, throwing herself on her bed as soon as she entered. She was just about to fall asleep when she heard someone clear their throat. She looked up to see a familiar brunette sitting in her desk chair.

"Elena? Mom didn't tell me you were here," Cosette frowned.

"I was hoping you could do me a favor," she smiled.

The Sinclair girl gave her a look of confusion. "I have no idea what you're talking about. What do you mean?"

"I'm going to give you information in exchange for your loyalty," the brunette explained. Cosette nodded at her to go on. "There are a lot of secrets you don't know, things that your 'friends' don't want you to know. I'm willing to fill you in. Do we have a deal?"

"What exactly do I have to do?" she asked, not liking the idea that her friends weren't telling her something,

'Elena' smirked, knowing that she had the girl right where she wanted her. "I just need you to do what I say for a while and be on my side. I will tell you anything and everything you want to know. Do we have a deal?" Cosette gave her a silent nod. "Perfect. Let's start with the basics, shall we?"

"The basics?"

"For starters, my name is Katherine Pierce." The younger girl went to speak, but Katherine held up a finger, telling her to remain quiet. "I'm a vampire, and so are Stefan Salvatore, his brother Damon, and as of about twenty minutes ago, your friend Caroline."

"Stefan is Elena's new boyfriend," the younger girl frowned. "Does she know that he's a vampire?"

Katherine's smirk grew. "Oh, sweetie, Elena is basically why all of these supernatural things are happening. She is the reason why the Salvatore brothers returned to Mystic Falls. Obviously, you haven't been here to know that the town's body count has gone up a lot since they got here."

"Why?" Before Katherine could reply, she continued. "Why me? Why are you telling me all of this?"

"I'm doing this to help you," Katherine told her softly. "There are things that you don't know about your town, your friends, and even yourself. You don't know why yet, but you are extremely important to me and the Salvatores. I know which side you'll probably choose when this is all over and done with, and that's why I chose to be ahead of the game."

Cosette shook her head. "I just don't understand. This is all so much."

"If you want," Katherine sighed, "I can make you forget that we ever had this conversation. You can choose to forget everything I've told you."

"No," she said quickly. At the other girl's raised eyebrow, she took a deep breath and continued. "I want to- I need to know what's going on. Tell me. I may not know you that well, and you may be a vampire that could kill me any second, but for some weird reason, I trust you."

The vampire smiled. "Okay then. Now, let's start from the beginning..."

-

After staying up all night with Katherine while she told her everything she needed to know about the supernatural things going on in Mystic Falls, Cosette slept until noon and spent her day on Netflix. After several hours of being locked in her room with her laptop, Cosette got a text from Elena.

School carnival tonight. You better be there.

Cosette rolled her eyes and replied saying she would be there. She looked at the clock and decided that she would go ahead and get ready and head to the carnival. She knew that Elena and Bonnie had put the carnival together in Caroline's absence, so Cosette was hoping she could convince the girls to let her have one of the giant stuffed animals from one of the carnival games that were obviously rigged so no one could win them.