five

Cosette stared at Katherine for a minute before she started laughing hysterically. The vampire wasn't as amused and sent her a pointed look, effectively hushing Cosette's laughter.

"I'm being serious," Katherine snapped.

The younger girl shook her head. "I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. I can't be their sister. Hell, I can't even be related to them. Not only am I a Sinclair and they're Salvatores, but they're over a hundred years old, and I'm just a teenager. I've believed everything you've said up to this point, but this is just ridiculous."

"I can prove it," Katherine told her.

"How?"

The vampire sighed. "I knew you and your brothers in 1864, and I can project some of my memories into your mind. You'd be able to see yourself with them. Then I'll explain everything to you."

Cosette thought for a few moments before giving her a small nod. Both girls took a seat at the foot of Cosette's bed, and Katherine placed her hands on the younger girl's temples. Cosette let out a soft gasp as she closed her eyes, and she allowed Katherine to show her one of her memories.

-

Stefan had just introduced himself and welcomed Miss Pierce when a younger Cosette came rushing out of their large home with her skirts gathered in her fists so that she wouldn't trip. She stopped right beside Stefan, taking a moment to smooth out her dress and catch her breath.

"Please excuse me for being so late. I see you've already met my brother Stefan. I'm Cosette," she said,  offering the older woman a small smile, "and you must be Miss Pierce."

"Please, call me Katherine."

-

"Oh my god," Cosette gasped, pulling herself away from Katherine. "That's not possible."

"Vampires supposedly aren't possible," Katherine reasoned.

"I was there, but I couldn't have been! I'm Cosette Sinclair. I am not a Salvatore, nor have I ever been," Cosette rambled.

"Technically," Katherine spoke up, "that part is true. Even then, you weren't a Salvatore. You name was Cosette Sinclair, but you were Stefan and Damon's little sister. You were just adopted and didn't change your name."

"How is any of this possible?" she asked.

Katherine sighed. "I told you that Stefan and Damon died and started to transition into vampires when they tried saving me from the fire, but I left out the part about you being there as well. Even though you were younger then, you were so stubborn and followed them. Not only did I have to watch Stefan and Damon be shot and killed, but I had to watch you die as well."

"That doesn't explain anything."

"I had been feeding Stefan and Damon my blood for weeks, and that's why they turned. I hadn't given you any, so you actually died. While I had been staying with your family, I had grown to love you as if you were my own sister. As soon as I could, I went to Emily and had her cast a spell that ensured you would come back," she explained. "I just didn't realize that it would take this long for you to come back."

"Why don't I remember any of this?" she questioned. "If what you're saying is true, shouldn't I remember you and my supposed brothers? Shouldn't I have my old memories?"

Katherine stared at the Sinclair girl for a few moments. The smaller brunette had wide eyes, and her lips were parted as she waited for Katherine to tell her whatever it was she knew. After a minute or two, the vampire spoke.