29) Similar Yet Different

{ Noah's P.O.V }

A whistle blew.

"Right! It's everyone's favourite!" Mrs Tansley- Our Physical Education teacher- yelled from her place in the sports hall.

Oh I already don't like the sound of that.

Can you believe it? We finished a hurdles race about ten minutes ago and I'm still out of breath.

Okay- Ten minutes is a tiny bit of an exaggeration.

I placed my palms on my knees, trying to heave some needed oxygen into my begging lungs.

This is ridiculous!

Mrs Tansley waved her arms and blew the whistle again with a grin, "Four-hundred metre relay race!"

The words brought a groan to my lips and I hung my head, hands still on my knees.

We just finished a race! What is this?!

The four-hundred metre relay was when at each hundred metre, stands a member of  a team consisting of four.

A baton is needed to pass to each player in order for them to run and whoever gets the batons first each time- and if they're fast- they win.

You can see why I dislike this the most.

A chorus of low groans filled the air as some students lolled their head back in despair and others, the more athletic ones, began to stretch already.

Pri and Eli were two of them.

I, however, was apart of the group sighing in dread.

It's been about four days since me and my family moved back into my house. It was now Friday.

A few more hours till I could relax into the weekend.

Now that sounded more appealing than all this running around nonsense.

The school was holding a sports day: Usually, they were held in summer. But last year's one got cancelled and in return, they moved it to mid-January.

Now if you ask me, I would have preferred for it to have stayed cancelled.

Because quite obviously: I'm not athletic.

I shot a petulant glare to my two friends, who were already stretching their muscles out beside me.

Unlike those two.

"Come on, Noe," Eli grunted- I hate that nickname- and grabbed my arm to try stretch it himself given that I wasn't doing any effort, "Stretch! Or else you'll get bad cramps."

"And then you'll be complaining to us about it," Pri huffed while redoing her ponytail. Her long, sleek black hair came to her shoulders, despite the tying up.

Two elegant strands framed her face and she got back to stretching.

I folded my arms, "I don't complain, I just... I can't run!" I slapped Elijah's shoulder lightly, whining, "You two always disappear when we run together. I'm not built for this!"

Elijah and Priyanka were the athletic ones- Eli more than Pri in the sense of sports and technique. Pri in the sense of cardiovascular endurance and stamina.

Though, I had to admit, I pride myself in being the fastest swimmer out of us three.

But what use is that in school? Our stingy college doesn't even let us use the swimming pool.

Well, there's been a massive number of near-death drowning experiences and quite a few fights in there- but so what?

We're very... responsible.