Chapter 3

When we get to the club, it's already pretty busy, but it's also a Saturday night. We stand at the end of the line and prepare ourselves to wait for what is probably going to be an eternity.

I'm chewing my nails nervously, when I hear Ani say something.

"What?" I say, trying to be heard over the noise that's emanating from the club.

"I said," she says, sounding a bit annoyed. "Stop chewing your nails, it makes you look like you're up to something."

I shove my hand into my jacket pocket. "Sorry, just nervous I guess."

"Don't be. It'll be fine."

I smile nervously. "I wish I had your confidence."

She tosses her hair and grins at me. "It comes with practice."

When we get to the front of the line, the bouncer looks us over. I guess we look over 21, because he doesn't ask to see our IDs. He just nods and waves us in.

Once we get a seat at a table, Ani smiles. "Told you it would be fine."  She waves over one of the waiters.

"What are you doing?" I asks.

"Getting us some drinks, what does it look like?"

"We may have been able to get in the club, but I'm sure they'll check IDs for drinks."

"You'd be surprised how often they don't."

The waiter appears at our table. He looks close to our age, maybe a few years older. "What can I get for you ladies?"

Ani smiles a little flirtatiously. "I'll get a strawberry margarita."

He smiles at her and winks before writing her order down on his notepad.

He turns to me. "And what can I get for you?"

"A pina colada. Please."

"Sounds good. I'll be back with your drinks shortly."

With one last glance at Ani, he turns and walks towards the bar.

"I guess they really don't check for IDs."

They rarely do. And it helps that we were confident."

"I didn't feel confident."

"You sounded confident, though. And did you see that guy? How cute was he!"

"He was pretty cute."

"Pretty cute? He was more than pretty cute. His eyes were like melted chocolates," she gushes.

"Hey," I said. He's coming over."

She turns around quickly, then shoves me playfully when she doesn't see him. "Jerk."

I laugh.

She's blushing, something she rarely does. "Not funny," she says, but she's smiling a little.

It's then that I hear someone singing. At least, I think it's singing. It sounds kind of bad, if I'm being honest. I look around to see where it's coming from, and see a stage with some high tables around it.

Ani sees what's caught my attention. "You should go up there."

"I don't know." I feel like any confidence I'd had earlier has disappearedafter seeing how many people are in the club.

"Come on, you'll do great."

"Maybe," I say. "After a drink."

Right on time, our waiter comes back, placing our drinks on the table.

"Thanks hun," Ani says, smiling up at him.

"Of course." He goes back to the bar, and Ani turns to me. "Drink up and go sing!"

I laugh. "I'd rather drink slow. You know, so I don't throw up on stage in front of all those people."

Ani nods. "Fair."

The minute she notices I'm almost done my drink, however, she's practically pushing me onto the stage."

"Okay, okay, I'm going." I walk up the stairs that lead to the stage. I tell the guy standing there that I'm going to be singing "Can't Help Falling in Love" by Elvis Presley, then walk over to stand in front of the microphone.

As the beginning notes of the song start playing, I try hyping myself up. You can do it, Emilie, I think to myself.

I start to sing, and I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, but I feel the room get quieter. It feels like everyone is watching me, and the thought makes me even more nervous, but I keep going.

Once I reach the end of the song, it sounds like a lot of people are clapping. I'm getting more applause than I ever get at the cafes I sing at.

I blush. "Thank you," I say into the microphone. I walk down the stairs, expecting to see Ani waiting. She isn't, but there is someone waiting there for me.