Chapter 4

A/N: Lowkey shipping Emilie with both Ian and Lucas right now

~

He's tall, with brown hair and eyes that seem to become lighter in the light coming off the stage. "Hey," he says. "I just wanted to say you sounded great up there."

"Oh," I say. "Thanks."

"I'm Ian."

"Emilie."

"Do you want to get a drink?"

It's then that I notice Ani and look over. She's grinning, nodding her head and giving me a thumbs up, no doubt encouraging me to say yes.

"Sure."

I follow him to the bar and take a seat next to him as the bartender walks over to us. "What can I get you guys?"

"I'll have a raspberry mojito, please."

"A whiskey for me."

The bartender tosses a smile our way. "Coming right up."

Ian turns to face me. "So, Elvis, huh?" He asks, referencing the song I had been singing.

I smile. "Yeah," I say, "I've always been a fan."

He grins. "Good song choice, by the way."

"Thanks," I say. I look down at the table, feeling a little nervous suddenly. I usually never go to clubs or bars and feel a little out of my element.

I see his hand reach out and cover mine. I look up and see what might be a look of concern on his face. "Feeling okay?"

"Yeah," I say. "Just a little nervous. Clubs aren't really my scene."

"That's okay," he says. "I used to be the same way. Still am sometimes," he says with a smile.

It's quiet for a moment before he adds, "How long have you been singing?"

He's trying to distract me, and I let him. "Ever since I was little," I say. "What hobbies do you have?"

"I make music, too, actually."

I feel myself smile. "That's cool."

"Yeah, I'm actually in a band."

"Oh, you are? Maybe I've heard of you. What's your band's name?"

"I doubt you've heard of us. We're pretty new on the music scene."

"Try me," I say.

"We're called Sun Veil."

"I don't think I've heard of you guys," I say. "I'd love to give your music a listen, though."

"You can come meet my band, we'll play a couple songs, and you can tell me what you think.

"Sure," I say.

"That's also what I came over to talk to you about." He rests his arms on the table in a way that looks like he means business. "Our band doesn't have a singer, our most recent one left due to some personal reasons, and we've been looking for one ever since. When you come meet the band, you can practice a couple songs with us. No pressure, of course. Just thought I'd ask in case you're interested."

I think about this. I'm a bit disappointed he didn't just come over because he was interested in me. I don't usually have guys talk to me, so I was happy that one actually seemed interested in me. It is a good offer, though.

"Sure," I say. "I'll practice with you."

He grins and takes out a piece of paper and a pen. "Great. What's your number? I'll call you and we'll plan out a day for you to meet the band."

"Okay, that sounds good. My number is 778-568-6547."

He writes down my number, then gets up off the stool. "It was nice meeting you, Emilie."

"Nice meeting you too."

He walks off into the crowd, and I think about the way his voice said my name, how he made it sound special.

Ani walks over to me. "Oh my God. He was so hot!"

"Yeah," I say, still staring off into the crowd for a little longer before turning to her.

"What did you guys talk about?"

"Music, a little."

"You have to give me more than that! Did he flirt? Ask for your number?"

"He kind of asked, I guess. I mean, it was to make plans to meet his band."

"That's so exciting! Maybe this will be your big break."

"Maybe," I say. "I hope so."

She wraps her arms around me in a hug. "I'm so happy for you."

I smile and hug her back. "Thanks, Ani."

She pulls away after a moment. "Well, I think that's enough excitement for one night. Ready to head out?"

"Yeah, I'm getting pretty tired."

"Same."

We head out of the club and into the night air, where the cold bites my arms. I shiver in my jacket. "Should we call Lucas?" I ask.

"Probably a good idea. I don't really feel like walking home this late."

I take out my phone and dial his number.

The phone rings for a second before he picks up. "Hey, Emilie. What's up?"

"Could you pick us up? We're just at TJ's and don't really feel like walking back this late."

"Yeah, yeah. Of course. I'll be there soon." He hangs up the phone.

We decide to wait outside until he comes. He only lives a few minutes away, so we don't have to wait very long before he's pulling into the parking space in front of the club.

I get into the passenger seat, and Ani sits in the back.

"Hey," Lucas says, as I close the door.

"Hi," I say.

"How was the club?"

"It was good."

"That's all you're going to say?" Ani says from the back as Lucas pulls out of the parking space and starts driving down the road. "Tell him what happened!"

"What happened?" Lucas asks, and I sense a hint of protectiveness and what might be jealously in his tone.

"Nothing," I say. I don't know why I say it. Maybe it's because I don't eat to make him jealous.

"She met a guy," Ani says. "And he asked for her number."

"Oh, that's...nice." Lucas says.

I hear a tightness in his voice and look over at him. His hands are gripped around the wheel, and he's looking ahead.

"It was just to keep in contact," I say quickly. "He wants me to practice with his band."

"It could be more, though," Ani says, and I see her wiggling her brows at me in the rear view mirror. "You haven't gotten any since, when was it last?"

"I don't know," I admit.

"See, it's been so long you don't even remember."

"Leave her alone," Lucas says.

"I'm just kidding, she knows that."

Lucas glances over at me, and I don't miss the look in his eyes, silently checking if I'm okay. Seeing if I do, in fact, know she's kidding.

I smile at him, and his shoulders relax a little.

We get to my apartment, and I get out, saying bye to Lucas and Ani.

Lucas waits outside until I get in the apartment, before driving off to take Ani to the dorm rooms.

I head up the stairs and get to my suite, unlocking the door and stepping inside. I take my shoes off before making my way to the bathroom to take off my makeup and brush my teeth. I then go to my bedroom and put on some sweatpants and a tank top before turning out the light and laying in bed to sleep.