Chapter 5

The next morning, I feel a wave of emotions. Nervousness and excitement, all bundled into one. I'm nervous and thinking: what if, when Ian's band meets me, they don't like me? What if all the excitement I'm feeling leads to nothing? What might be my one chance at fame would be gone.

I push the thoughts out of my head and get out of bed. I have a shower, then pick out a pair of jeans and my favourite shirt: a Stone Temple Pilots merch tee.

I pick my phone up off the nightstand and see that I have a missed call. I call back almost immediately.

"Hey, Emilie. Glad you called me back. Would you be up to meet the band today?"

Well, that was fast. I didn't expect him to want me to meet them that quickly.

"You don't waste time, do you?" I say, trying on confidence for size.

"No time like the present. Especially since we're kinda desperate for a singer, and I think you have something special."

I blush, happy he can't see me through the phone. "Yeah, today works. What time?"

"How 'bout 12?"

I look at the clock and see that it's 10am. I'm pretty much ready, all I have to do is put on some makeup, and then I'll be good to go.

"Sure" I say. "12 sounds great."

"Awesome, you can meet us at 156 Paul Rd."

"Okay, sounds good." Just then, a thought pops into my head. "Would you mind if I brought my friend over?"

"No, of course you can."

"Okay. I'll see you at 12 then."

"See you then."

I hang up, then call Lucas. He picks up quickly.

"Hey Emilie. How's it going?"

"Great," I say.

"Oh, yeah?" I hear the smile in his voice.

"Yeah. Would you be up to going with me to meet that band today?"

"Is that the band with that guy you met at the club yesterday?"

"Yeah," I say.

"Sure, I'll go with you."

"Thanks, Lucas."

"Of course."

"I told him I'd meet him at 12."

"Okay, I'll be over at 11:30 to pick you up."

"Okay, sounds good," I say, then hang up the phone.

~

At 11:32, I see Lucas's car pull up outside.

I go head down the stairs and go out the front door, walking over to his car and getting inside the passenger seat.

"Hey," I say, buckling my seat belt.

He smiles. "Hey."

"So the address is 156 Paul Rd."

"Okay, sounds good." He starts up the car, and we drive off.

"I'm glad you invited me," Lucas says, keeping his eyes on the road.

"Yeah," I say. "Just didn't feel too comfortable going alone."

"Yeah, of course," he says.

"I'm still nervous though."

He turns to look at me for a second, before looking back at the road. "About what?"

"Meeting the band. What if they don't like me, you know?"

"I'm sure they'll like you. You're great and an amazing singer."

I blush a little and smile. "Thanks. It's just that, this could be my big break, and I really don't want to mess it up."

"You'll do great, I believe in you."

"What if I don't do great?"

"Then I'll be here to support you. Always." His voice sounds softer than usual, and he coughs a little awkwardly. And, you know, Ani, too, of course."

"Yeah," I say. "Of course. Thanks."

There's a silence in the car the rest of the drive that neither of us breaks.

When we pull up to the house, the garage is open and I see a few people, including Ian, standing inside holding instruments. I take a deep breath, unbuckle my seat belt, and step out of the car.

"Hey!" I say, smiling. I hope I don't sound as nervous as I feel.

Lucas steps out of the car and walks beside me up to the garage.

"Hey Em," Ian says.

I feel Lucas stiffen beside me at the way Ian says my name. I've told Lucas how much I hate when people call me that.

"Her name's Emilie," he says. "She doesn't like being called Em.

I see Ian's band members looking at each other, some of them smirking.

I nudge Lucas's shoulder. "It's fine, it's not a big deal."

"No, I'm sorry" Ian says. "I didn't know you didn't like that nickname."

"It's okay, really. Why don't you and your band play a song? I'd love to hear what you sound like."

"Sure."

Ian walks over to his band, and they start playing a song. I assume it must be an original song since I don't recognize it. Either that, or I just haven't heard it before.

The song ends, and I have to admit they sound pretty good. They could use a few improvements, but for the most part, they're good.

"So, what do you think?" Ian asks.

"You're really good," I say. "I love your sound."

He smiles. "Cool. Do you want to practice a song with us?"

I hesitate for a second, still feeling a bit inadequate.

Lucas nudges me, and I look over at him.  "You can do it," he mouths.

I smile at him, then turn to Ian. "Yeah, I'll practice with you guys."

"Awesome," Ian says. He grabs a mic and places it on the ground in front of the band. "Any song requests?"

"Maybe Hey Jealousy by Gin Blossoms?"

"Sure, we can do that."

The band starts playing the familiar beginning notes of the song, and I take a breath before I start to sing.

The second I start singing, I feel the nervousness I was feeling seconds ago slip away. I just listen to the music, feel the tune and the rhythm, and let it guide me.

Once the song finishes, I turn to face the band expectantly. Ian is smiling, but he isn't saying anything.

Finally, I say, "What did you guys think?"

Ian turns to his band. "What did you think, guys? Was that not the best thing you've ever heard?"

I feel excitement rising in me as his band members nod in agreement.

Ian turns back to me. "Well, I think that settles it. How would you like to be a part of the band?"