Chapter 1 - Micah-MY Protection

"Hey boss! You have a call waiting," Bradley shouts in the garage.

He's been with me since year three. He's my second in command. He's honest and loyal and I consider him a good friend.

Ending the checks on the range rovers that we use as company cars, I look over at him. "Who is it?"

"Didn't get the name, but she asked for you by yours, and she only wanna speak to you."

My heart flips a little when I hear that. We don't give our real names to our clients. Only official people know who we are, so I start to run throw the events in my head to check if I've accidentally broken the law in some way. After spending time in prison, unexpected calls like this can make me over think things.

"I hope you weren't shitty on the phone," I say leaving the garage.

"C'mon, you know me." he grouses following behind. "I can be professional... when I wanna be. The call's on line one. It sounds urgent too."

We enter the office and Doreen is not at her desk, so I add a little haste in my steps because if it's someone official calling, I don't want to piss them off, plus, I don't want to miss any opportunities passing by if that what this is.

"Has she been waiting long?" I ask heading towards the desk and wondering where the hell is my receptionist.

"Nah, five minute or so," Bradley answers keeping on my tail.

When we reach the receptionist area, I turn to him. "Where's Dor?"

He looks around, bunches his shoulders, then flares his arms. "I think she went to get coffee."

Doreen was employed shortly after Bradley. She's excellent in her role but the woman is never at her desk. Sometimes I think to fire her, but she's the only one who can keep the rest of my crew in check.

I get ready to take the call, but Bradley adds, "I have a pickup later and could do with the help. Who's free?"

"Use Jordan, I don't think he's booked for anything tonight," I say then answer the phone.

"Micah Yorke here."

Whoever's calling already knows who I am so there's no point beating around the bush with the niceties of a hello.

"Hello... Hi! I'm calling about the security detail under Enderson."

I don't remember the name coming up in this morning's meeting, so it doesn't ring any bells.

"Can you hold for a sec." I tell the woman and she huff annoyed.

Looking all over, I can't see our meeting folder on Dor's desk, and I also can't log on the computer here because I left my key card in my office.

"Bradley!" I yell hoping he's nearby and knows where the folder is.

When I don't get a response, I put the phone back to my ear to listen if the woman is still there.

"I'm sorry, I'm having system issues and unable to pull your files but tell me why you're calling and how I can help. Has the arrangement changed?"

I don't set up bookings and have no information about the fine details, but I play off like I know what I'm doing.

"Yes actually! My mother called this morning, have you no notes about the conversation?"

The woman sounds snotty and stuck up, but I don't want to lose the business coming my way, so I let her attitude slide.

"I just don't have them in front of me. Can you fill me in on the details. Has anything changed?"

I get another huff before she tells me the details. Her mother rang this morning to hire our services for the coming weeks, but this woman wants to hire someone straight away. Her bodyguard quit this morning, now she needs someone to escort her to an event tonight. Her explanation sounds dramatic, and she's coming across terrible and mean, but I'm not here to judge. She could be nice for all I know.