Chapter Nine

The Stoddart Residence

Boston

Massachusetts

"Needlepoint is so relaxing...and you are so good at it, Bailey?" Mena smiled, slipping her arm around the child's shoulder, not giving a second thought to her crushed skirts. Much to Grace's surprise, and annoyance, that was the first thing she thought of. Miss Klein hated her to crease her gowns. But she drove that thought out of her head and watched Mena delighting in the close company of Bailey and Emily Proctor, who were sitting either side of her, filling the sofa. "Emily...you are doing very well, but that is not very straight, is it?"

"Shall I unpick it, Ma'am?" Emily asked, totally in awe of Miss Olivia Stoddart, just like her twin sister. The two girls had been invited for the afternoon by Mary, who knew just how much Mena adored them, and everyone seemed to be having a wonderful time. Mena, in her favourite dark red velvet, was teaching the girls, in pale blue, calf length dresses and crisp white aprons, to sew.

"No, dear...this is just a practise frame, so that you can get the hang of it...and don't you worry about going a bit wonky...Grace can hardly sew on a button!" Mena laughed, causing Grace to stick out her tongue, which in turn caused the girls to collapse on Mena in a fit of the giggles.

"Is wonky even a word?" Grace asked, amazed at how different Mena was when she was with the children. In Florida, she had been damaged goods, although she mostly managed to hide it reasonably well, and she was immediately happier in Boston, because the environment was more familiar. But she was still distant at times, and certainly not at peace. Grace knew that she had not seen her children or grandchildren for over four years. Being able to write to them was the first thing she mentioned when Grace had asked her what she wanted to do with her freedom. Bailey and Emily were clearly good therapy for her, and as they had lost their mother, they were obviously enjoying the burgeoning relationship too.

"It most certainly is, young lady." Mena grinned, before planting a kiss on the top of little Emily's head. Grace, immaculate in blue plaid, grinned back and returned her attention to her own frame. Needlepoint was a suitable pastime for a gentlewoman, but Mena was right about her sewing. She was hopeless at it. "Now, girls...tell me how you got on at school this week? Did you have any excellent grades?"

In the end, Grace just sat back and took great pleasure in seeing Mena happy, whilst also thinking about starting her own family. It made sense. If she was going to be playing at being a gentlewoman for a few years, she could fill her days with something rather more useful than needlepoint. Brett was eager to be a father, and even her mother had seemed keen for her to get on with things. But she was not sure, and she did not know why. Even by the time Miss Klein came in to announce that it was time to walk the twins home, she could not think of a tangible reason not to get pregnant.

"Miss Klein...if we are walking home through the park, we would be pleased if you wanted to stop for a coffee, Ma'am?" Bailey said sweetly as Grace's hands disappeared into her stiff mittens. The twins were already wearing their capes and bonnets, with their leashes hanging from their collars.

"Even two coffees, Miss Klein...and some cake...you have worked so hard looking after all of us this afternoon, Ma'am?" Emily added, turning her big eyes on the keeper, who was struggling not to smile. Grace had to admit that Miss Klein was quite nice. She was being strict with Grace, because she was being asked to be strict with Grace by her employers, but she was not a monster. Mena really liked her, and the feeling seemed to be mutual, so seeing her react to the children was nice. Grace could see how it was possible to live the life that she was pretending to live, happily enough, if you were able to embrace it.