Chapter Twenty-Seven

The Empire Hotel

Manhattan

New York

"Mr Forbes...can you comment on recent reports that suggest the release of the Hycanil vaccine was delayed by some six months in twenty-twenty-one?" One of the gaggle of eager reporters shouted, pushing around a security guard to thrust a microphone towards him as he got out of the car. It was chaos outside the old hotel, and the police and extra security were clearly struggling to hold back the demonstrators, which was allowing the media pack to push their luck and escape their prescribed area.

"I'll happily comment on any reports issued by the UN...but forgive me for ignoring some Tweet from a scandalmonger who still lives with his mom in Ohio?" Forbes grinned, turning back to the car to help his wife step out. "Otherwise, can I just help my wife and get inside for the scheduled press conference?"

He ignored the shouting behind him as his own protection detail set about moving the press pack back, and helped Arabella stand, with one hand on her elbow and the other holding her leash. He had curtly refused to let Arabella's keeper accompany her in the limousine. Marcus Forbes wanted to look in control, with the eyes of the world on him, and he wanted to show the world what a real Daughter of Eve looked like. Not that they could see so much as an inch of her. Straightening up and facing the cameras, he waved as if the crowds were cheering rather than jeering, and expertly guided his wife into the hotel. She was blind, of course. Not to mention deaf and dumb, but she was exquisitely trained and he had been practising for that moment, the crucial first impression he wanted to give.

His delegation were not ashamed to be there and they were not in New York to apologise for anything. Britain was a superpower. Britain was strong and proud, and that was the image he wanted to present to the world. And the world was watching, obviously. Whilst the rather muted UN statement had prevented the sort of angry reaction the naked truth would surely have provoked, it was still the story of the century, and people everywhere were demanding answers. The key admission was that the vaccine had been delayed by Drew Symonds, for reasons unknown and for a short period only, although the shortness of the period had not been defined. The UN were saying that the exact dates surrounding the development of the vaccine were unknown, and that witnesses involved in the development process were not available. No one had explained that unavailability either. It was, the statement said, a very difficult ongoing investigation concerning events that took place over forty years ago, which were complicated by the death of Mr Andrew Symonds.

"Gentlemen, please...one at a time...I am not here to duck questions and you will all get a chance to ask whatever you like?" Forbes held up his hands a few minutes later, in the room they were using for press conferences at the Empire. He was only thirty years old, a handsome blue-eyed, fresh-faced young man who exuded confidence, and he seemed to love being the centre of attention.

"Why hasn't President Symonds made any attempt to apologise to the world for his father's actions, Mr Forbes?" One of the guys near the front said, taking his chance. Forbes smiled and scanned the room, checking where the television cameras were.

"President Symonds has not only lost his father in the last few weeks, but he has also been trying to deal with a series of serious allegations, which have required his full attention and focus. British politicians tend not to say anything in public until they are fully aware of the facts...and as there are many holes in these latest revelations, it would be inappropriate to make any sort of Presidential statement." Forbes said, looking and sounding relaxed and fully in control of his environment. "That said, the original outbreak of Covid in twenty-nineteen was the result of an error by a lab technician employed by Drew Symonds, and management failings allowed that error to happen...of course, we regret that...but I am not sure what value there is in an apology from a government who carry no blame for the error forty-five years later? We all lost people in the great pandemic...I never got to meet my grandparents as a result of Covid...but as a nation, we have nothing to apologise for?"