Chapter V: The Other Player

Matthew looked at his torn coat as he held it in front of him. He had gotten his clothes back from the hospital, and most of them were in fine condition, however, his hunting coat he wore as armor had been mostly torn away. The coat normally went down to around his thighs, but now its tattered remains stopped above his waist. On top of that, an entire sleeve of it was missing and several holes were ripped through it.

Matthew sighed before rolling up the coat in his arms.

He glanced to his side to see the same golden screen he'd woken up to.

===================================

[Quest Rehabilitation has been completed]

[You may accept your reward at any time]

===================================

"Accept reward," Matthew muttered to himself. Part of him didn't expect anything to happen, but then a small portal opened up; no wider than a small computer screen. The small portal was rimmed with golden light.

All Matthew could see when he looked into the portal was a reflection of himself with a golden hue, as if he were being reflected in glistening honey.

Hesitantly, Matthew reached a hand into the portal. His hand felt faintly warm as it entered, causing the reflection to ripple slightly. Then finally, a small item appeared in his closed hand; a box of some kind.

Matthew's eyes widened slightly. The reward for this quest had been a healing item of some sort. Could healing potions exist with this new ability? It seemed to emulate video games to some extent.

Matthew retracted his hand. Just as quickly his anticipation faded as he looked at the object in his hands.

"Huh..." He muttered in disbelief. In his hands was a small rectangular box. Printed on the box was a small photo of a common medical patch you would put on minor wounds. On the front, the brand read Band-Aid.

"Band-Aids, wow thanks." Matthew sighed, pocketing the small box before starting the hospital room.

Marco greeted him when he left the room, at his feet was the luggage bag Matthew had left behind.

Matthew had nearly forgotten why he'd come to New York in the first place, vacation. Although now most of it had seemingly been spent unconscious in a hospital bed.

Matthew grabbed his luggage bag and hoisted it over his shoulder, or tried to. When he went to bring the bag over his shoulder to carry it, the bag lost momentum halfway and simply fell back to the ground.

Marco and Matthew exchanged somewhat confused looks. Matthew simply cleared his throat and opted to roll the bag instead while trying to ignore the warmth of his face.

"So are we going to the car? Or what?" Matthew asked Marco who was still standing tall against the wall.

Marco simply nodded and started down the hall, Matthew following quickly behind.

"Why'd you join the F.B.H.?" Matthew asked as they walked.

Marco led Matthew into an elevator and pressed the button to the first floor.

"How long have you known Victor?" He asked as both stood in the elevator.

Finally, the door opened and they both stepped out into the lobby, quickly heading toward the front door.

"Can you hear me?" Matthew huffed, slightly louder this time. "You aren't much of a talker are you?" He mumbled as they finally exited the building.

A sleek black car was parked outside near the front door. The windows were tinted but the passenger window had been rolled down, revealing Victor sitting in the driver's seat.