Ch.7: Uniform Status

Daisy turned on the lights to her home with Wally right behind her. He followed her to the small kitchen and placed the basket down on the counter. She placed her items down as well turning on more lights.

"Make yourself at home, Mr. Darling."

She walked down a few steps into the living room. A simple set up of a couch, chair, tv and stand as well as a desk with her work supplies on it. A few paintings scattered on the wall.

Quietly, Wally walked into the room and sat down on her recliner. He kept to himself, arms crossed, leaning forward, not even looking at his phone.

Daisy noticed his quiet demeanor, not even a smile on his face. She studied him from afar while putting her items away.

"Mr. Darling, would you like something to drink, coffee, tea, water, milk, juice...wine?"

Then, his causal smile formed, looking up at her, "Tea."

"Alright, let me get the water boiling."

The awkward atmosphere could be cut with a knife, however Daisy kept a smile on her face and a pep in her step. Despite being her boss he was now a guest. After making the tea she walked into her living room placing the hot cup on the coffee table.

"Whenever you're ready, there's an alleyway behind the building. I can sneak you out from the basement and whoever you have come can pick you up there. No one has to see you."

She knew the tabloids would have a field day if they caught him in public at his assistants home.

Wally took the tea in hand and stared down at the hot liquid.

"Mr. Darling?"

"Aren't you going to ask me why I was out here? By myself? In the city?"

"I mean — it's kind of obvious."

"Is that so?" He looked over at her.

"You're Wally Darling, the most famous actor alive right now. I'd want to get away for a while too if I were you." She paused, "But that's just a guess, in reality, it's none of my business."

Daisy then stood up.

"Where are you going?"

"To the kitchen. I planned on baking today while it rained. Just let me know if you need anything. You can stay as long as you'd like."

Giving him a warm smile she stood to her feet and walked back to the kitchen. She tied on her apron and pulled out the required items from her cabinets. Cut out cookies ended up being the treat of choice for her coworkers.

While concentrating on her baking she'd look up to check on Wally only to see him gazing out at the rain, leaning on his elbow.

The second batch of cookies had gone in, the first batch was cooled, and that was the fun part. She broke out her icing kit excited to make colorful tie-dye designs on them, her favorite.

"What are you doing?"

Wally's voice coming from right behind her made her jump and drop the cookie into the rainbow melted icing.

"Oh my goodness, Mr. Darling you can't sneak up on me like that."

He stared at her, and waiting for an answer.

"I'm making cookies for work."

"What's the occasion?"

"Nothing, just being nice to everyone who's been nice to me."

He walked over to the iced cookies. She felt as though he was judging them, making her nervous.

"What flavor are they?"