(V) A Step Forward

Branch: - What? What happened? -

Cooper: - That bergen... He took her along with Creek and... - He didn't want to finish the sentence looking sadly at Biggie.

Branch: - And...? Who else? -

Biggie: - To Mr. Dinkles. - He said with a voice in agony and with tears in his eyes.

Branch was in shock for a second. Unlike the rest, for the embittered troll the strange worm was nothing more than a pet, in fact, he did not feel any kind of attachment towards the strange being. Still, he rubbed her hands over his face and cleared his mind to avoid giving him too abrupt an answer.

Branch: - Good... Good... I'll do everything I can. -

Biggie: - No. You have to rescue him. You must rescue Mr. Dinkles. -

The huge troll said angrily, taking Branch by the shoulders and lifting him into the air with little effort. Biggie was kind by nature, and barely had the stomach to swat a fly. But when he was away from Mr. Dinkles, he became a huge uncontrolled mass driven by anger, fear and insecurities. To the huge troll, this strange worm was a part of himself.

The rest of the trolls looked in fear at Biggie's ferocity. In his eyes, it was as if their friend had vanished and only an uncontrollable beast remained. The most terrifying thing was to see how the huge troll grabbed Branch with force, giving him no chance of escape while he felt his bones being crushed. But Branch did not have a heart that was easy to scare.

With a movement that none of those present could see, Branch struck Biggie's wrists with his knuckles, causing him to lose his grip. Branch fell to the ground, and before Biggie could complain in pain, Branch grabbed the huge troll's jacket and yanked it hard, bringing Biggie to his knees before him.

Branch: - I said that... I'll do everything... I can. -

Biggie's anger was shattered when he heard Branch's heartbreaking tone. His deep voice showed clear anger, worthy of the most chilling nightmares of those present. But it was not even the beginning. Biggie looked up, but seeing the embittered troll's face, fear began to take control of his body.

Branch could not hide his anger. He showed his teeth aggressively and his gaze was capable of piercing anyone's heart. His breathing was similar to that of a rampaging beast, ready to charge head-on and tear its opponent to pieces. His fist crunched from the force that squeezed it, it even trembled a little, pushing the muscles of his forearm to the limit.

The rest looked on in shock, unable to even say a word. They felt how a shiver ran through every section of their body, immobilizing every one of their muscles. For a moment, they thought that he was going to beat Biggie to a pulp, but the truth was, Branch was doing everything possible to contain his pain from the wound on his back.

After two seconds, Branch was able to calm down a bit, letting go of the frightened Biggie's vest, who showed deep-seated fear expressed in his shocked face and wobbly limbs. The troll turned and jumped off the table after walking away from the rest. Enough time for the trolls to notice the bandage on his back and a large stream of blood staining the bandage and part of his pants. Apparently, Biggie's wanton act had aggravated his already troubling injury.

The trolls looked at each other worriedly, but no one was as sorry as Biggie, who finally realized what he had really do. However, little could they think about it, because a strange sound made everyone alert. To his surprise, it was Branch, who used his razor to cut huge pieces of the fabric from the sheets where the bergen lay, who, because of the chloroform, was unable to wake up even with so much noise.

Chenille: - Branch. Are you OK? - Said one of the twins when they approached where Branch was.

Satén: - That wound seems to be serious. - Said the other.