4. Bad Blood

Bad Blood - Taylor Swift

"Still got scars on my back from your knife
So don't think it's in the past
These kind of wounds they last and they last..."
————————————————————

And the day had come. Two boring days later full of looking at drawn tactics on a board and discussing who should mark who, we were on the changing room in a packed Kingsmeadow. We warmed up under a chilly afternoon courtesy of the typical Londonian weather.

I'm not going to lie and pretend my anxiety had not rose since arriving. Alexia texted me saying they were on their way and will meet Leah there. Another great reason of my sudden jitters. Beyond that, I'm really exited for both playing against the current WSL champions and seeing the outstanding blonde.

"Alright, listen up!" Our coach voice makes a deafening silence in the room. Laura was known for her authoritarian personality before matches

I sat in my cubby waiting for her to say the starting XI for what could be the last time with this team. Although the relationship was basically broken, I feel nostalgic about it. They made me the player I am today, even if they didn't like who I have become.

"Okey. Dickey on goal. Huerta, Cook, Barnes and McClernon you on defense. Make sure that Kerr girl doesn't come near the goal, you hear me?'

'Then in midfield we'll have Sonnett and Fishlock followed closely by Megan, Lavelle and Taylor. Do something good, I'm talking to you Taylor." Until then she almost looked proud of the team she had. Of course that face was soon replaced by her disgusted grin reserved only for myself as she said my name

'And Huitema, you're our striker. Do that magic of yours." She finished with a wink towards the player before leaving the room, knowing she had successfully riled me up. It was a pretty decent team and I was confident that we could pull this off.

"We will go out there and show this Chelsea team they are nothing compared to us! Come on!" Our Captain Laura yelled as we huddle in the middle of the room.

As we got out of the tunnel the atmosphere was incredible. Loud cheers and flags pierced the sky that made me believe we were about to play a Champions League final and not a simple friendly game. While shaking hands with the Chelsea players, I looked at the stands to find them there.

Between Alexia and Mapi was Leah, stunning as always. Her hair flawlessly on a bun, sunglasses on her bright eyes and a toothy smile that could be on a dentist advertisement. She waved at me from afar and I reciprocated the action.

I pealed my eyes from her stunning figure once the last Chelsea player shook my hand. I said a shy 'Good game' to Jessie Fleming gaining a friendly pat on my back. When I looked at the diehard Gooner on the stands, her gaze was already on me. Laughing, she took her pointed finger to her open mouth and faked barfing

A loud giggle escaped my mouth before I could suppress it. I don't know how her Gooner self was even here willingly. Only for someone special I would put myself through the torture of having to go to the Di Stéfano, Real Madrid's grounds, willingly. So I appreciated her being here deeply

Moments later, the game started.

And moments later after that, they scored. I sighed not understanding what the defenders didn't understand of the five hour a day tactics talk. Point number one for everyone was: not let Sam Kerr pass and if Lauren James has the ball, someone must mark closely the Australian because they always link up.

And what had happened?

Lauren retrieved a failed nutmeg from Fishlock and made a swiftly long pass to a completely alone Sam. When Hiatt had tried to close the gap, she misread the situation and gave Kerr too much space to dribble her way around our box and choose a perfect spot on the net.