A Collection of Lasts

It was many hours later when they finally came back for him and he'd begun to think that maybe Secondo had changed his mind. He wouldn't have blamed him. Quinn was an unknown territory who had no history with the Council except for killing one of its members. Secondo was actually being a bit reckless binding a ghoul like him without being able to control him.

The air ghoul and his guards entered the cell and he noticed that the fire ghoul carried his bag. The quintessence guard came over to remove his chains but he didn't take his eyes off the fire ghoul.

"At least you didn't fuck it up, quintessence. Emeritus is keen to bind you so I suppose that means that you aren't our problem anymore," the air ghoul said. "Pity though, such a waste of a seer. It's a shame we can't just keep you locked up here indefinitely. I'm sure they'd be able to think of a way to force the visions out of you. I've heard they have drugs for that. Maybe one day they'll change their minds and you'll end up back here anyway."

Quinn had experienced first-hand the types of drugs that he spoke of and he wouldn't wish that existence on any seer. He tensed up and a growl escaped him. The quintessence guard had his back to the others as he undid the chains and he put a hand on Quinn's arm. He looked up at him as he subtly shook his head and he felt the ghoul trying to calm him down. He accepted the magic. The air ghoul was clearly trying to provoke him and he wouldn't give him the satisfaction as he sensed an ulterior motive behind the barbed words.

When the chains were gone he stood up, rubbing his wrists where the metal had irritated his skin. The fire ghoul tossed his bag to him and he instantly knew that something was missing.

"Where are they?" he growled out and the air ghoul smirked.

"You think that the Council will let you take the trophies of your kills with you to Earth? They will be destroyed."

The quintessence guard sensed what was about to happen and he stepped in front of him, putting a hand on his chest. Just as Quinn was about to launch himself at them, the door behind the guards swung open.

A tiny, beautiful multi ghoulette with white hair and silver eyes stepped into the room followed by a massive fire ghoul guard who was carrying a wooden chest. Quinn recognised her instantly as a seer. He hadn't come across any others outside of his own family before, but he instinctively knew what she was.

Her eyes met his and she smiled. She looked barely older than a kit but he could feel how powerful she was. The ghouls all dropped their eyes to the floor in respect and moved out of her way as she walked over to Quinn.

"I kept them safe for you, I would not have let any harm befall them," she said in a sweet voice.

He sagged in relief as her guard handed him the chest and he opened the lid. The skulls of his mate and his twin daughters were wrapped carefully in gauze and safely packed inside.

"Thank you, you have no idea what this means to me."

She smiled sadly back at him and simply said, "I do."

The ghoulette looked over to the air ghoul and frowned.

"This will not go unpunished. This ghoul had good reason for the things that he did. None of us suspected the monster that we had in our midst, and for you to torment him like this is just cruel and wholly unacceptable."

The air ghoul slid his eyes to Quinn but he didn't say anything more.

"Come, the chapel is ready. It is time for you to begin the next chapter of your life."

He numbly followed her and her guard into the corridor. The fire and quintessence guards fell in behind them, but the air ghoul stayed where he was.

"Was it you? Were you the one that saw this?" he asked as they walked.