Predator

Martha was brimming with nervous excitement. She'd convinced herself over the last few weeks that the initial thing she'd had with Quinn was going to be a one off, even though at the time it had seemed like he wanted to meet her again; but then he'd left her hanging.

She supposed that she had Tom to thank for this little meeting tonight. When Quinn had come to her rescue last week and gotten rid of him for her it had opened up the lines of communication again. Since then she'd been waiting for him to summon her. She hadn't thought of much else for the last few days if she was honest. After the last few shitty weeks she really needed to let off some steam.

Which was how she found herself wandering through the woods after dark, horny and a little bit afraid. She'd done as Quinn asked before she left, bringing herself right to the edge of orgasm but no further. It was one of the hardest things she'd ever had to do and she had no idea why Secondo's quintessence ghoul had that effect on her. Every time she thought of that night in the laundry's office it made her insides squirm. She'd been in a permanent state of want ever since he'd told her he wanted to meet up again last week, and finally tonight had come around.

As she walked deeper into the woods she got the feeling she was being watched. It was probably her imagination, but it could just as easily be Quinn watching her from the shadows. She shivered in anticipation.

The moon was full and the silver glow penetrated the trees just enough for her to see where she was going, but she stuck to the familiar paths so that she didn't trip over anything she couldn't see.

Quinn hadn't said exactly where to meet him, so she wandered aimlessly as she knew he'd be able to find her if he wanted to. The Siblings took classes to learn about the ghouls when they first arrived at the Abbey. It was important to understand a bit about them so that they could interact with them safely once they became members of the church. One of the things they were taught was that ghouls were skilled hunters and trackers.

Martha got the feeling that Quinn excelled in both of those things. The way he'd snuck up on Tom that night, they hadn't even realised Quinn was there until he was right behind him. He could have killed him just as easily as breathed.

The sound of a twig snapping brought her out of her thoughts and her heart jumped. She stilled and looked around into the darkness of the trees. If that was Quinn then surely he would have called out to her or showed himself by now?

She could feel her heart beating faster as she tried to rationalise that she was being silly. The Abbey's woods were big, but there were no wolves or bears here to eat her. The scariest things here were the ghouls, and she knew she would be safe with them.

That didn't stop the primal fear from taking over though. That ancient knowledge that was buried deep inside the DNA of humans, the instincts that had kept her ancestors alive for generations.

The hairs on the back of her neck rose in warning all of a sudden. She couldn't explain what it was that caused it, but that primal instinct started screaming at her that she should run. She was alone in the woods in the dark and she was vulnerable. She tried to calm her breathing but it was no use. The thought of being at the mercy of some creature with fangs and claws became too much and her prey instincts took over.

Martha took one last look around. That feeling of being watched intensified and the woods seemed to hold its breath; the sounds of the nocturnal insects and the rustling of the trees melted away as all she could hear was the frantic pounding of her heartbeat in her ears.

She ran.

In her panic she carried on deeper into the trees, further away from the Abbey. She didn't turn around for fear of tripping. Where was Quinn when she needed him?