3

i exhaled and went to my seat. Mike followed, talking about an upcoming trip to the beach. He lingered by my desk til the bell rang and went to go rant to Bella. It looked like I was going to have to do something about Mike, and it wouldn't be easy.

In a town like this, where everyone lived on top of everyone else, diplomacy was essential. I had never bad. Enormously tactful. I had no practice dealing with overly friendly boys. Well Bella hasn't, I've had only a couple. They were close friends, but I didn't like them like that.

I was relieved that I had the desk to myself, that Edward was absent. I told myself that repeatedly. But I couldn't get rid of the nagging suspicion that I was the reason he wasn't here. It was ridiculous, and egotistical, to think that I could affect anyone that strongly.

It was impossible. And yet I couldn't stop worrying that it was true. When the school day was finally done, and the blush was fading out of my cheeks from the volleyball incident that Bella caused, I changed quickly back into my pink sweater and blue jeans. I hurried from the girls locker room, pleased to find that I had successfully evaded my retriever friend for the moment. I walked swiftly out to the parking lot. It was crowded now with fleeing students. I got in my truck and dug through the bag to make sure I had what I needed.

I saw Bella walk over to her truck and sit down in it, reading a book. Not a surprise from Bella id say the least. Last night bells and I discovered that dad couldn't cook much besides bacon and eggs. So Bella and I requested that Bella and I could cook for him she'd do it one night and I'd do it the next night. Like taking turns.

He was willing enough to hand over the keys to the banquet hall. When Bella and I looked for food, there wasn't any. So Bella and I made a shopping list and the cash from the jar in the cupboard labeled FOOD MONEY, and we were on our way to the grocery store.

Bella and I drove to the store in my truck, ignoring the heads that turned in our direction, backed carefully in place of the line of cars that we're waiting to exit the parking lot. As I waited, trying to pretend that the earsplitting rumble was coming from someone else's car, I saw the two cullens and the Hale twins getting into their car.

"Bella, do you see that." I pointed towards the shiny new Volvo. Of course. U hadn't noticed their clothes before. Bella and I had been too mesmerized by their faces.

"Yeah, yeah I do." Bella replied. That's all we really said to each keeping small talk. Mainly listening to the radio.

Bella and I got home. We put the food up. It was Bella's night to cook so I started texting mom. I realized that I missed a call from her and a missed text.

Emma, write me as soon as you get in. Tell me how your flight was. Is it raining? I miss you and Bella already. I wrote to her as well. Remind her to write me. You've always been the one who could remember the most. I'm almost finished packing for Florida. But I can't find my pink blouse. Do you know where I put it? Yeah. I took it. It was too cute not to take. Phil says hi. Mom.

I sighed and went to the next. It was sent eight hours after the first.

Emma, why haven't you emailed me yet? Bella's already emailed me back. What are you waiting for?   Mom.

The last was from this morning.

Emma, if I haven't heard from you by 5:30 pm today I'm calling Charlie.

I checked the clock. I still had an hour, but my mom was well known for jumping the gun.

Mom. Calm down. I'm writing right now. Don't do anything rash. Emma.

I sent that and began again.

Mom, everything is great. Of course it's raining. I was waiting for something to write about. School isn't bad. Luckily I have Bella. I've made some new friends. Theirs the kids called the cullens. They don't talk to anyone. Don't eat their food. It's weird. But I catch Edward Cullen staring at me all day. It's like he's trying to figure something out. Charlie bought me a F-150 and Bella a old truck. I miss you too. But I'm not going to email you every second I can't keep up like that. Relax, breathe. Bella and I will be okay. I love you. Emma.

I started my favorite tv show, the girlfriends. I was watching it for a while. Id lost track of time, and I hurried downstairs to see Bella cooking potatoes out and put the steak in to broil.

"Bella, Emma?" Our father called out when he heard me on the stairs.

Who else? I thought to myself.

"Hey, dad. Welcome home" I said as he walked in the door. "Thanks." He hung up his gun belt and stepped out of his boots as Bella bustled about in the kitchen.

"What's for dinner." Dad asked Bella as he turned his head towards her. "Steak and potatoes." She answered, he looked relieved. He seemed to feel awkward standing in the kitchen doing nothing. Hd lumbered info fhe living room fi watch TV while I sat at the kitchen table doing my homework and Bella cooking. We were all more comfortable that way.

Bella called us in the kitchen when dinner was ready, dad and I sniffed appreciatively as dad walked into the room. "Smells good, bells." I pointed at as she smiled a little. "Yeah, sure does." Dad said right after me.