[ 27 ]

─

─. ˖

CHAPTER 27
REBELLION

WHEN SHE got back to her apartment, the sound of her door slamming shut caught the attention of a sun-kissed-skinned boy who frowned at the sound and peaked his head out the door of his own apartment. The quiet drops of rain drizzled against the balcony of the staircase, puddling against the edge of the rails.

At the unexpected return, Finnick found himself making his way towards the stairs, making his way down towards her floor before standing in front of her home. Surprisingly, he was hesitant to knock and was unsure if he should bother her or not. The younger girl had gone home for the first time in years after being finally given permission to leave the capitol and it seemed like the visit did not end well. He wondered if he would just make things worse or annoy her if he talked to her right now, but after mustering up some courage and washing away his self-deprecating thoughts, he knocked on the door a couple of times.

After a few moments, the door slid open slowly and revealed a disheveled brunette. Her hair fell messily over her shoulders, pulled into two braids and her lips were dry and cracked.

This sight caused him to frown as he stepped inside quickly and shut the door to cut off the cold air from entering her apartment. Reaching his hands up, he touched her warm cheek and brushed it with his thumb.

"Did something happen?"

As if contemplating telling him, she hesitated for a few moments before taking a step away from his touch.

"I was thinking," she paused for a second, furrowing her eyebrows as she looked up at him, "About what to do next."

"Next? What for?"

Her mind was in a flurry as she stared straight into his eyes. His sea green eyes were pure and swirled clearly in the light, looking at her with complete trust and worry. Her hesitance washed away and got replaced a sense of guilt for suspecting him and being hesitant to trust him.

In a quiet voice, she answered him honestly, "The capitol. Something has to change." Her barely of a whisper got stronger as she spoke louder near the end, "Snow has to die."

Finnick's gaze hardened and he turned back around to make sure the door was closed and locked. His eyes traveled across the walls and he crouched over to check under all the nearby tables and chairs before he stepped closer to her. Leaning into her ear, he spoke quietly, "Rebellion is a taboo topic, Persephone. Are you being serious about this?"

She replied with a stern tone, her voice coming out in a harsh whisper to match his volume, "I'm serious. Of course I'm serious. These games have to end Finnick. I'll die if I have to, even if you don't agree with me."