[ 39 ]

─

─. ˖

CHAPTER 39
FALLEN

SHE WAS by far the prettiest girl in the room. Everyone had their eyes on her regardless of what they believed in or the side that they chose to defend.

Finnick hated it.

He hated that he had to see her beautiful sharp eyes glaring right through his soul on the broken down television screen. Her cheeks sunk and lost their colour since the last time he saw her and he could only imagine what they've done to her.

It's been months.

Whilst Katniss was met with moments of relief and hope that Peeta was still alive from his grand showings on the daunting broadcasts, Finnick was given nothing; not even a hair from her head to indicate even the slightest hint of her survival within the capitol.

And now, even though she's alive and sitting right before his eyes, he wasn't sure if it was truly her or not. The spark that ignited itself in her eyes whenever she spoke and the defined confidence she held wasn't there anymore. The electric and eccentric gaze no longer shook his bones but instead a stern and furious look marred goosebumps against his skin.

Her brown hair is braided meticulously on the crown of her head and the loose strands were pinned up to not block the view of her face. The bloody red dress she wore was a juxtaposition to the pure white pearls that wrapped itself around her neck.

Unrecognisable.

"Is that her?" Finnick could quietly hear Mrs. Willow's voice murmuring behind him, followed by the equally as quiet whispers from the rest of the family. Despite their questions and shock, he did not dare turn to meet their eyes.

After failing to protect not only their daughter that he promised them he'd care for, but daring to sacrifice their precious son, the guilt has riddled him from asking for their forgiveness.

His heart tightened at the sound of the sniffles that emerged from behind but he remained unmoving. His eyes locked with the brown ones on the screen that he was so familiar with; yet they aren't the same.

"Dear citizens of Panem. Some of you may recognise me from this year's games and as the pride of the capitol." Her lips curled up slightly at the sound of the title leaving her mouth. The cold look in her eyes was merciless. "The radicals have brought upon a lot of hardship for you all," Finnick's heart ached at the words that left her mouth, "The peace built upon respect and cooperation has been sporadically disrupted and the violence and hatred instilled into the bones of the rebel have caused discord and disharmony amongst us as a united nation."

The uproar and disbelief of those surrounding him was loud. The booming yells and screams did not make him flinch, but further pulled him to the reality that they're in now.

"Traitor!"

Katniss's figure that sat in front of him frowned at the accusation, clenching her fist at the title they gave her. She carefully eyed the figure of the man in front of her, unsure of the words that need to come out of her mouth that will comfort him.

Although she herself knows how it feels to watch her lover be labelled a traitor, she also knows more than anyone that the feeling doesn't get better.

Persephone's voice rang through their ears like a never-ending echo. A ghost of who they once knew spoke unnervingly, " I knew nothing of the act of rebellion that occurred in that arena with those whom I considered friends. I frown upon their actions and their treason and malcontent will never be something that I represent."

Her hand raised and reached towards the camera, her eyes glazed over as if she wasn't fully focused on anything in front of her. A single tear fell down her cheek, "I'm sorry for the suffering you have met at the hands of these rebels and know that I will always put my trust in Panem and our president to ensure our safety and well-being. I hope that you will too."

"Kill her!" The demands started amongst one person of many. The murderous intent in those words resonated with the rest of the group and Finnick furrowed his eyebrows at the thought.

"Kill her!" Another exclaimed.

Something flew past his head. He could feel the way his hair slightly shifted from the breeze and the feeling of something brush past him. Soon, the screen shone a bright red, dripping down Persephone's collarbone on the screen and the tomato that committed the crime slid down ever so slowly.

"Kill her!"

Before he knew it, he stood up abruptly and pulled his legs over the seat to march towards the person that started this chant. Katniss was quick to her feet, grabbing the man's wrist and pulling him back with a quick but strong yank. "Stop it." The girl's stern voice was met with a silent glare as he attempted to pull his wrist out from her grasp. "Finnick, sit down."

His eyes were circled with red and the anger in them was apparent.

"I'm going to kill these bastards, Everdeen. You can't stop me."

He clenched his fist and pulled his wrist forward and she stumbled as he pulled her with him.

He took a step forward but halted at the sound of her next words.

"If you kill someone today, there's no chance that anyone will let her in anymore." Her voice was stern, almost knowing. His teeth grinder against each other and he pulled his leg back to turn towards her. His sea green eyes were now dark, shaking slightly with anger. "What do you know, Everdeen? What are you hiding from us?"

She peered up at him with fierce eyes, her fingertips stinging from the friction but she was unflinching.

"President Coin will pardon them."

This sobering thought made him realise the warm that trickled down his hands. The blood dripping from the nail marks in his palm made him realise the state he was in.

After a few minutes of silence between them, "How can I trust you?" He murmured, his shoulders falling slightly in defeat. The buzzing sound of the crowd around them blowing up with continued anger and riots began to leave his attention. All he could focus on is the idea that Katniss can convince them to bring her back.

His Persephone.

"Because you have to trust me the same way I had to trust you in that god forsaken arena, Odair."