Story Five

It wasn't cold but it wasn't warm. It was one of those in between days. The ones where you could choose to wear a jacket or not. I chose yes, after all it is sweater weather.

I encountered a child who looked far colder than the weather would cause. When I approached her she backed up a couple of steps making me worry.

"It's alright I'm not here to hurt you," I shrugged my sweater off and offered it to her.

She shook her head fervently and walked further back making her back hit the wall. It's then I noticed the copper stain on her temple.

As I reached out to touch it she cowered closer into the corner, I suddenly pause feeling helpless. It had felt as if I had lost all control of my body.

I turned on my heel and walked. It didn't seem like I had any direction or destination but I walked for what must've been miles before my body collapsed and I felt the strain of overworked muscle. I sat there for hours, just trying to catch my breath, before trying to find my way back home.

The second I arrived I collapsed into my bed.

The next morning, on my way to work, the girl weighed heavily on my mind. She seemed almost familiar with her wide grey eyes and long dark hair.

I decided to take a detour on my way to work through the way I had gone yesterday when I had seen the girl.

She was still there and seemed equally as horrified to see me as last time.

"Hello again," I said softly walking forward slowly as to not scare her, "I just want to help,"

She shook her head again and pointed behind me, when I turned to look there's nothing there.

I turned back to her and she looks terrified of whatever's behind me. I brought my attention to the wound on her temple, which is now dripping blood that flowed thickly down her face.

I reached out to wipe it away and the feeling of being out of control took me again. This time I ran, though not nearly as far. At some point my phone started ringing. My body answered it without speaking, I heard my boss scold me over the speaker for being late. I didn't answer only hung up and turned around back towards my job.

The girl watched me run past and looked sad.

When I arrived at work my coworkers greeted me at the door scolding me for being late, when my body collapsed like a puppet with its strings cut. They crowded me in concern while I struggled to catch my breath. One of them helped me into a chair.

"Lyra, are you okay?" Someone asked me.

I nodded and brushed a strand of dark hair from my eyes before smiling, "Sorry I'm late,"

They looked at me like I'm crazy before going back to their desk.

My limbs were just as sore as last time but this time I had responsibilities and worked through the pain.

I called an Uber home unable to stand walking back home.

The next morning I had work again so I decided to visit the girl in the afternoon.

By the time afternoon came I was almost excited to check on her but as I rushed out of the building my coworker spilt their drink on me.

I walked to the bathroom, a little annoyed about the delay, and started to rinse my hands and rub out some of the drink from my shirt. I looked into the mirror to see if I missed anything but instead I met my own eyes. The stony grey stares back at me. My eyes soon dart to my temple where a scar I got when I was only 7 sat.

I stumbled backwards when it suddenly opened and started to drip down my face, warm and sticky.

I ran home without checking on the girl and by the next time I got around to it she was gone.