Arc 1 Chapter 3: The First Wedding

Andromeda Tonks knew first-hand exactly how tough being a mother was. She had raised possibly the biggest potential miscreant in the history of wizardkind. They were only lucky Nymphadora had decided to place her skills into following Andromeda's own footsteps and becoming an Auror, because she was almost certain that had it not been Y/N threatening to tear down the wizarding world from the inside out, Nymphadora most certainly would.

Speaking of the blasted boy, Andromeda also knew of all the heartbreak and loss that came with being a mother. To this day, despite only having met him a few times since his abduction all those years ago, she still very much considered Y/N her son.

Still though, having taken yet another trouble-making child under her wing, she considered herself fairly experienced in raising difficult-to-handle children. And yet, of all the things Ellie could have asked as she raced down the stairs, Andromeda could not have predicted that.

"Are you a witch?" Ellie had asked, no hint that the girl would be surprised even if Andromeda was.

Andromeda's first instinct was, of course, to say no. After all, had it not been one of Y/N's immediate requests, never to let Ellie know of Magic again? But Ellie was a sharp girl... and if, somehow, she had found out herself...

What really was the point in denying it?

"How did you come across that term?"

Ellie raised her eyebrows. "It's not exactly an alien term to Muggles, y'know."

"Well, how did you come across that term?"

The corners of Ellie's mouth curled upwards with amusement. "A ghost told me."

Andromeda straightened. "Muggles cannot see ghosts, Ellie."

Ellie paused a tad too long, as though someone was telling her what to say through a wire. "Well... I could see this one."

Andromeda pondered for a moment. There had been instances in which Muggles would catch a glimpse of ghosts. It was one of the reasons some Muggles swore on their lives they had seen one. No matter how the magical world tried, spiritual magic was never truly invisible to Muggles. Some of them were simply too spiritually aware. Ellie could be one of these Muggles, perhaps created from her previous lifetime aware of the presence of Magic.

"Where did you meet this ghost?" Andromeda asked.

It was an important question. Ghosts by nature were tied either to a person or a place, depending on what their regret during their mortal life was. If a ghost chose to become a ghost for the sake of revenge against a human being, they wouldn't be able to leave the immediate vicinity of that human. In other words that human would become 'haunted'. Likewise, if a ghost came back because their regret had something to do with a particular place, it was that place which instead would become haunted.

As far as Andromeda knew, her house wasn't haunted. This meant if Ellie had met the ghost here, she was the object of this supposed ghost's regret.

Again, Ellie was quiet for a tad bit too long, but eventually, she spoke. "I met it during my walk back from school."

Andromeda let out a breath. But tensed again upon the realisation that she was not yet in the clear. Now came the rather arduous process of explaining not only the magical world to Ellie, but also the state of the current war.

* * *

"What?!" exclaimed a rather flustered Dora. "You know?"

"About magic?" said Ellie boredly, flipping another page of The Killing Joke. "Yeah, I know."